9. Ollie on Board

// Chapter 9: Ollie on Board \\

"Put the window down! It's freezing in here!" I say. I attempt to push the button again, but nothing happens. It's locked.

"Leila, it is 80 degrees out. I am not putting the freaking window down."

I shiver. "Amanda, please!"

She looks over at me in annoyance. "No, you're fine. I don't want my hair messed up. Plus, we're almost there."

Where is there, you many ask? Brooksbank county jail. After calling Amanda and telling her about my freedom to leave the house, she rushed over to my house and picked me up to go visit Oliver.

"Ugh, fine," I groan.

Amanda smiles in satisfaction. "Hey, did your parents ever know about the last time you went to the jails?" She asks.

Remembering how angry my parents were, I chuckle, then respond "Not at first. They kinda found out and then kinda exploded. At least my mom did. Confined me to the house for all of May." I recall my punishment and a thought comes to mind.

"Weren't you in the hospital most of May?" Amanda questions.

I say, "That's funny, I was just thinking exactly that. But yeah, I was. Guess my mom forgot about it. Knowing her, if she remembered, she would have extended the time of my punishment."

Amanda checks her mirrors before switching lanes. "Good thing she didn't."

"Yeah . . ." I trail off, thinking about how quickly this last month has passed by. It's already June 13th.

Amanda pulls me out of my reverie when she says cheerfully "We're here!"

I look up from my hands to see that she's right. The large fence surrounding the prison is right in front of us. The guard lets us in without a second thought.

As Amanda pulls into a parking spot, I grab our papers from the back seat. Now that I've been here before, I came prepared. We got the approval from the court judge that I was supposed to have before. Hopefully, it'll shorten the wait.

I was right. Within thirty minutes, the same lady as before is leading us back to where Oliver is. She opens the door and motions us into the room.

Amanda and I prepared beforehand, and we already know what we want to get out of Oliver while we're here. We purposely left early so we would have enough time before they kick us out.

The room is just as packed as the last time, maybe even more. It takes me awhile to spot him, but as soon as I do, I grab Amanda's arm and point him out. He's in the back of the room like the last time thankfully.

Amanda looks up at me a determination in her eyes that I'm sure is in mine as well. We have this visit mapped out.

First matter of business, figure out what Oliver didn't finish saying to me last time about what he saw the night that everything changed.

We walk towards him slowly, my hand still on Amanda's arm. He looks the same as before, but his hair is a bit longer. I wonder how often they get haircuts here.

As soon as we reach the table he's sitting at, Oliver loudly whispers "I thought I told you not to look for him."

The him obviously being the man who killed his mother and my sister.

I sit down, ignoring him momentarily as I introduce him to Amanda. "This is my best friend Amanda. She was best friends with Hope as well." I lean in to whisper. "I told her what happened with you and how you were framed."

His eyes flash in anger. "Do you know how careless that was of you, Leila? The more people the tell, the higher the chance he'll find out you know." He huffs, then continues. "Perhaps he already has found out."