10. Can't Take the Noise

// Chapter 10: Can't Take the Noise \\

I know that I should be a good person. That I should wear flattering clothes, spend time on my makeup, eat healthily. But I'm not always that person.

And in this current situation I am not doing what I should be doing. I should just let Ollie go. He's told us all we came here for, but for some reason, I can't. I don't want to. I don't realize this till he is already halfway to the door. As soon as I do, I fly out of my chair and rush after him.

For a moment, I'm blinded by the hair that has whipped across my face . . . my hair. The next thing I know, my sense of balance is wavering. I start to fall, down, down, down. I wait for the impact, but it never comes. Confused, I open my eyes that I had squeezed shut as soon as I realized eminent death was upon me, only to find deep brown eyes staring into mine.

It was Ollie. He saved me.

The next few seconds pass with me experiencing multiple emotions: shock, appreciation, and then a fluttery feeling in the pits of my stomach.

Shock at the fact that Ollie caught me.

Appreciation to Ollie for saving my life.

And the fluttery feeling due to . . . um, you know, I'm guessing just a nervousness over what could have happened if I hadn't of been caught. Yeah, most likely from that.

I convince myself that this last on is true, even though a part of me believes otherwise. The surprise of the fall must've also caused me to lose my mind, because when Ollie pulls me up from my half-standing, half-laying position, I continue to clutch onto his shirt as if for dear life.

I acknowledge the foolishness of my actions when I hear Amanda's voice. It seems that Oliver has as well, for he pushes me out of his grasp.

"Leila! Oh my gosh, you're so lucky that he caught you! Otherwise, you could be headed to the hospital right now," Amanda yells.

Not denying the truth in her words, I give a lopsided smile to her and say "I'm okay though. That's all that matters."

Nonetheless, that fluttering feeling is still in my stomach, and looking over at Oliver, I take back my words. Me being okay is not all that matters.

"-with what the doctor said and—"

I cut Amanda off, not wanting a certain someone to know about my previous concussion and how it occurred. "But I didn't fall, so it doesn't matter." I hope Amanda detects the pleading in my voice

Thankfully she does and immediately drops the subject.

It doesn't make a difference, however, because Oliver had already caught on. "What does she mean 'what the doctor said?'" He asks.

"Um . . ." I trail off, not knowing what to say. Thankfully, Oliver reminds me of my lie from earlier.

He asks "Does this have something to do with the x-ray you had?"

I realize now that we're standing in the middle of the visiting room, and that there are more than fifteen ears listening in on our conversation. Lowering my voice, I start to tell him the truth, "I was actually in--"

Amanda cuts me off. "Didn't your dad say we had to be home by five? I have to stop at the store before, and you know how he was last time. We really can't be late. Amanda gives an apologetic look to Oliver, and then drags me out of the visiting room.

As soon as the door clicks shut, I ask exasperatedly "What was that for? My dad never said that."

She speaks through her teeth "You were just about to tell Oliver what we agreed not to tell him in a room full of listening ears." Her voice rises in volume. "Leila, what the heck were you thinking? If he ever finds out that you were in the hospital because somebody drugged you, he'll never help us with this investigation!"