Chapter Two-The Life and Death of Annie Chapman

****

Eliza Anne Smith, or "Annie Chapman", was drinking.

      "Life's tough, an' I know that London is bad...but I got to work", she said.

      But noone cared...Except for the working girls.

      In her hands were 10 shillings.

      There were no pounds to feed herself. John and the children, (those who were alive)...Emily Ruth passed on with meningitis, aged 12; John was disabled...

      ...And, by 1881, with her marriage over, and her life on the crime filled cobbled roads of London town, had had begun.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Annie, who was called "Sievey" and "Siffey", was saddened when her daughter, Annie Georgina, 13,  fled her home and joined the Circus.

           "I declare that the French Third Republic is not a place...or a Country for my daughter to work in...The French Military under Emperor Napoleon III and others need not foreigners helping Paris out...No! And the Circus is full of strange people. And the life of freaks, and ring masters, and clowns, and 'orrible weird things...And John Merrick, "The Elephant Man", what a shock! Doctor Treves is a good man. working for the disabled...And...", Annie stopped speaking to herself. People would think her mad...

           ...Up ahead, Edward Stanley was angry.

           "Wot yer doin' woman! Yer talkin' funny agin! Fer yer goin' ter Bedlam if yer no' careful!", he said.

          "Bedlam is fer the criminally insane; Bedlam is a madhouse", Annie Chapman said, as she gripped  some flowers that she got from the florists.

            And she kissed him, as they spent time in the London lodging houses, before she had had to go back onto the cobbled streets of London...again.

_____________________________________________________________________________

Page 10