Chapter 8 - Jay

Shit. Should I have said that? Why could she only look at me with a grin afterwards and why didn't she say anything. Did I do something wrong? Yes of course I did, I shouldn't have said it. What was wrong with me? I know what it was. She drove me crazy. Keith this, Keith that. I don't like him at all and I hate that he flirts with me. I was really amazed that she worried about me 'flirting' with him even though I didn't do that at all, but okay...

"2 points for the Hillside Hornets." I hear the commentator shout. I look up again. The match is a bit difficult. The points are close and the game is almost done. The one who doesn't really seem to be there is Charlie. She hits the balls badly and throws slightly crookedly. I don't know if that is because of me or because of her face, which I know hurts, a lot.

Coach who sits next to me shouts across the field again, his words are mainly aimed at Charlie, who threw the ball crooked again, so Jake had to take an extra step and Keith could just burn out the player from the other school.

"Yes. Yes!" She calls back grumpily. And then what we were all afraid of happens. The opposing team hits a homerun.

Coach fiercely jumps up. "You are all waking up now and start doing your work!" He shouts. "Miller." I get up gay... straight away.

"Yes, coach."

"I want you to replace Jake and strike last." Coach turns back to the field. "Time-out." Jake drops his arm and I watch our team walk towards us.

"Sorry Coach," some of them mumble, and I watch Keith and Charlie bicker as usual. Charlie rolls her eyes and shakes her head. Yet she curls her mouth up in pain for a moment, so it is her face after all.

"What was that?" He yells at Charlie. "Get your head out of your ass, Davis?"

Charlie puts her hands on her back and stares at Coach. "Sorry coach, I'm not quite there today."

"Do you think." he laughs sarcastically. "I don't know what you got, but I want you to get yourself together, understand?" Charlie nods.

"Got it, coach." She nods to him.

He turns his attention to Jake, who is already shrinking slightly. "Jake Wright!" He roars. "You switch with Miller." I see how Jake breaths out in relief.

"Okay coach." Jake pats my shoulder.

"And Miller." I swallow when he fixes his withering gaze on me. "Don't let them hit anything."

Okay, I'm not nervous at all right now. I really don't need to lead my team to victory or anything. While everyone is running back onto the field, I quickly get ready. The other team was already amazed to see Charlie on the field and they will be even more surprised at my arrival.

"Relax." I hear someone say behind me. I recognize that voice out of thousands. Charlie. I slowly turn to face her. "You know as well as I do that you are much better than a lot of morons that stand on that field."

I let my gaze fall for a moment. "I don't want to disappoint anyone." When she stays quiet I close my eyes for a moment.

My breath catches when I feel her index finger under my chin and she lifts my face. "That won't happen, just throw the damn ball." She puts my cap on and stares into my eyes again. "They will underestimate you, take advantage of that."

"I needed that, thanks."

She takes my breath away again when she smiles, I would prefer to lean in on her, but I hold back. What am I doing? Her blue eyes soften when she looks at me again. "Let them eat shit, as Jake would say." I shake my head with a smile and walk with her onto the field.