47. Broken Whispers

~ Ash ~

~ Ash ~

Do you honestly think she could ever love you?

"Shut up," I hissed through my teeth as the taunting words of my dearly departed mother reached my ears like a dangerous caress.

That's always what she did, hiding her resentment through actions that one would depict as kind and loving. Pulling me into a hug when we had company over, while simultaneously pinching my skin, hard enough to leave behind bruises. Whispering what would appear to be gentle, encouraging words in my ear, though they were always sweetly given insults or threats. In a way, Martha Rodion-Lewis was even worse than my father. Jeremy Rodion was not one for subtlety, so it was easier to see him coming, figure out what he would do, and react accordingly.

And then I killed them. I did always praise myself for my problem-solving skills.

Tell me, Samael. What have you done to create your delusions?

"That's not my name," I stabbed my needle into the fabric laid out before me.

Ash.

The voice that spoke to me next wasn't that of my deceased mother.

I looked up sharply, gazing into the mirror that sat before me, my reflection staring back at me, an intense, dangerous, burning hatred clear in his eyes. I wasn't sure who that hatred was for. Myself? Kristina? Everything?

It was hard to keep track of who pressed my nerves these days. The residents of the manor were all scared, and fear can make them impulsive. It caused Joseph Abrams to hunt me down more fervently, and he came too close to finding me for comfort.

So I took matters into my own hands. Plus, there was the additional bonus of it possibly scaring some sense into Kristina.

It had almost worked. She had come to me, as I knew she would. She knew what I was capable of doing. The damage I could inflict if she defied my wishes again. She had left me, but she would return.

Even she couldn't deny the searing passion that was in our kiss. I knew she felt it. I knew she had burned alongside me. She claims to not love me, that she'll never be able to love me, but there are some things you can't hide for long.