11. The Magic of Unicorns

~ Jamie Barns ~

~ Jamie Barns ~

I absolutely adore unicorns

They are, of course, the best animal to have existed. Yes, I do believe in unicorns. Has anybody alive ever seen a real unicorn? No. Has there ever been proof that unicorns were real? No. But is there proof that they haven't existed? No.

I rest my case.

No matter what people tell me, I will always believe in unicorns. They're magical, mystical, lovely creatures that feature in every single magical tale I've ever loved. I always imagine them as white, symbolizing the purity they hold within. In my head, they always have a beautiful corkscrew-shaped horn that always sparkles with the tiniest bit of the magical powers they possess.

I said all of this after Kriss left the room with a migraine. I hope she'll feel better soon.

"Jamie," Megan said impatiently after I explained my unicorn infatuation to her. "Unicorns don't exist. You're obsessing over something that isn't even real."

I knew Kriss would probably say something sarcastic about Megan's new boyfriend - who totally looks like a horse. The resemblance is uncanny.

The nice Charlton boy whom Kriss was obsessed with looked at me with confusion. Sophie looked uncomfortable, like she wanted to say something, but she didn't. I was glad she didn't say anything. I wanted to channel my inner Kriss and be completely devastating.

Mwahahahahaha.

"You're the one dating a horse-man hybrid," I said. Jase snorted with amusement, and I smiled devilishly, like a child who was about to bother their sibling. "Bestiality is often frowned upon."

Jase broke into hysteric laughter.

"Jamie!" Sophie exclaimed. She looked deeply amused by my statement. My grin grew wider as Megan glowered at me.

"Goddamn you, Kriss," she muttered under her breath. I wished Kriss was here to see this. She would have been very proud of my statement, insulting both Megan and the Horseman with one sentence.