25. The Joke's Wearing Thin

Song: Seal My Fate from The Phantom of the Opera.

~ Kriss Darcy ~

~ Kriss Darcy ~

Behind us, in the manor, somebody screamed

Jase glanced at me, wide-eyed. "What was that?" he asked. "You heard that too, right? I'm not going crazy?"

"I heard it," I reassured him, my every nerve urging me to race back into the manor, to find the source of the scream. The ghost, maybe. The one that's been harassing Mr. Abrams. I had to go back and find out if it really was the ghost, and then I had to talk to Ash...

But he'll probably be trying to figure it out too. He'll be trying to help. I'll ask him about it tonight, when I see him again.

I still have to know what happened, though. So I'm not caught off guard by anything.

Grabbing Jase's hand, I began sprinting back towards the manor, pulling him along with me - though of course, he overtook me - he ran on a daily basis, and was still wearing his bright neon-green running shoes, whereas I was in jeans and sneakers - not the best clothing and footwear for running.

As we got closer, another scream sounded out - definitely sounding terrified, screaming for help - but then it was abruptly cut off, like the voice it was coming from was suddenly silenced.

A sick feeling of dread washed over me, and I stumbled, my footsteps faltering for a split second. Jase, who was now pulling me along, glanced back at me.

"You okay?" he said, only sounding slightly out of breath. Lucky, I thought, as I tried gasping in enough air to speak back. I need to run more.

"Yeah..." I huffed, my face bright red with exertion - at least, I'm pretty sure it is. I can't see my own face, so there's no way to know for sure until I find a reflective surface. "Keep... keep going."

We were close to the back doors now - summoning up the last of my energy, I followed after Jase as we sprinted past an angel statue, its hands held together, praying. I found myself in the same mentality I imaged the stone angel had, praying that nothing bad happened. Please be some stupid prank Jamie pulled on Megan. Please let Bunny have delighted Jamie with something, and I was only imagining the terror in the sound. Please let Sophie have seen a spider. Please, please, please...