23. Krase

~ Kriss Darcy ~

~ Kriss Darcy ~

I'm not doing anything wrong

I kept chanting that in my head over and over again as I followed Jase through the front doors, walking across the driveway to take the path that led to the gardens - though why we didn't just go out the back doors was a mystery to me.

I'm not doing anything wrong.

I was nervous - Ash didn't seem to be in the best of moods when I left Mother's study, and spending time with Jase was just asking to antagonize him further.

But why does he care so much? All he asked is that I sing only for him. It's not like he asked me to love him.

But as I thought that, Ash's voice rang through my head.

Your voice may sing for me, but your heart sings for another.

I'd told Ash that my relationship with Jase was strictly platonic... but we both know that's not true. Try as I might to suppress my feelings towards Jase - to stop my heart from singing for him - those feelings got stronger and harder to fight off the more time I spent with him.

Maybe I should go back inside. Maybe I should go see Ash. He seems to wash away unwanted feelings.

Being near Ash shielded me from the barrage of memories that threatened to overwhelm my mind at every moment. It was always a constant struggle to keep them locked away, to keep my own mind in check. But with Ash, it was like the memories completely vanished. All the bad thoughts just disappeared.

But it was always a temporary relief. When he left, and the memory of his alluring voice started to fade, my mind became a glass container again.

And if you abuse a glass container enough, eventually, it will break.

I should go back inside.

I glanced over my shoulder as we walked down to the gardens. Would Jase completely hate me if I left him now? Or would he understand, like he did about me not wanting to kiss him again?