49. Cornered

~ Jase Charlton ~

~ Jase Charlton ~

I'd never seen her in a dress before

She looked radiant, her blonde hair spilling across her shoulders like Rumpelstiltskin himself had spun the strands from thread. Of course, her hair wasn't golden, but it was the thought that counted, right? She was appeared to be rather uncomfortable, which I think was because of the dress and the heels she wore. Kriss was obviously a jeans and sneakers kind of girl.

Still, she was the most beautiful creature I could see tonight. I was probably biased, since I'm in love with her, but it's the truth. I couldn't look away from her. She drew me in, and I wanted nothing more than to leave this place right now and kiss the hell out of her.

Especially since she kept teasing me.

Though that's probably because I kept stepping on her feet.

I'm horrible at waltzing.

"Sorry!" I exclaimed, seeing her wince. "I'm terrible at this!"

To my relief, she let out a long laugh. "How? It's not a very complicated dance!"

She's making fun of me.

I stepped on her foot again. This time it was on purpose - kind of. I had meant to nudge her toes, but my aim was off. "I beg to differ."

"It's a simple box step."

I refrained from rolling my eyes. Says the one who took dance lessons. "It's not simple."

"Jase."

I loved it when she said my name like that. A mixture of humor, exasperation, and adoration. Only Kriss Darcy could seamlessly throw those emotions together into a mesmerizing harmony. I grinned, purposefully worsening my dancing and stomping on her poor feet with every movement.

"Just wait until there's a slow dance," I said. "I'm fantastic at slow dancing."

She rolled her eyes, smiling up at me. "Isn't that just a lot of swaying?"