48. Masquerade

Song: Masquerade from the musical The Phantom of the Opera.

~ Kriss Darcy ~

Sophie applied the last bit of eyeliner to my eyes

Sophie applied the last bit of eyeliner to my eyes. I could imagine the look she had on her face right now; tongue stuck out, eyes narrowed with concentration, her hand expertly wielding the eyeliner pencil.

"Okay, open your eyes," she ordered. When I did, I was unable to recognize the person reflected in the mirror.

She certainly looked like me, but she was far too regal to actually be the same person. Her eyes were outlined in black, the lids a smoky gray, her lashes curling up in a way mine could never do on their own. Her face had some color to it, a light coating of blush dabbed across my cheeks. I hadn't realized how pale I'd become in the past week. Supposedly, being kidnapped and harassed by a crazy ex-ghost does that to you.

My hair had been put through a curling iron and now hung in large spirals down my back. Sophie had pinned back a lot of it so my vision wouldn't be obscured. It was an odd sensation. I never took much time to do my hair - it was either cooperative enough to stay down or so rebellious that I had to throw it into a ponytail or a bun. There was no in-between.

"Kriss!" Jamie's reflection appeared with mine. "You look so so so so so pretty! I've never seen you with makeup on before! Well, there's the stage makeup for the musicals and operas and all that jazz, but you're forced to wear that. Oh! Do you like my dress, too?" she gave a little twirl. "I found it at the dress shop and it was so pretty and flowy and pink and sparkly!"

I stoop up and turned, my own dress swishing around my ankles, and admired Jamie. Though the tiny girl was naturally beautiful, there was an added elegance to her now. She, too, had on more makeup than she usually wore; which, like me and pretty much everybody else in this room, was saying a lot. Her already-long eyelashes were close to touching her eyebrows, and when she blinked, they brushed against her cheekbones. Her own eyes had been outlined in silver sparkles, scattering across her eyelids like fairy dust. To be honest, I think she somewhat resembled a character from one of Sophie's fantasy novels, just because of the sparkles. What was that character's name? Carter? Carder? I've listened to Sophie rant over these books enough to have a mental image of the evil fairy prince or elven knight or whatever. I think I remember her saying something about a tail. Or was it pointy ears? Both?