Chapter Five

While returning to Franco's to pick up my bike, a police car wailed past. The car had stopped at the end of the street in front of his restaurant.

Panicked, I gave Dom a call. He picked up after the second ring.

"Hello?" He sounded harried but not afraid.

I let go of the breath I was holding. "It's me. Are you okay?"

His answer was abrupt and stiff. "I turned my dad in." 

"You did?" Worry flooded me. If he turned his dad in, would he also be in trouble?

"I can't believe it all was right under my nose Matty. I knew it wasn't in the boxes. He had a secret pocket in the delivery bags. Police found it when they came to search.  In each pocket were different colored powders. Pretty sure It was drugs."

I rubbed my forehead wearily as I realized just how much trouble not looking in the bags could have caused me. "God, sorry I never looked in the bags, Dom. But what about you? Are you okay? They aren't going to..." 

Would the police arrest him?

"Police want to question me, but I'm not in trouble. Sheez, I'm such an idiot!" His voice raised, and I heard something crash.

"You're not an idiot. People we love aren't always worthy of our trust."

"I also told the cops he threatened you with a gun. My father was screaming that they should arrest you too. Be careful about coming back here. I don't think they'll do anything... but my family doesn't have the best reputation with the police. Still, I had to say something."

"Dom, I ... don't know what to say. That's just - wow." My heart swelled at the thought of him worrying about me after everything going on.

"You don't need to say anything about it. You'd do the same for me, I'm sure of it."

"What are the police going to do about the restaurant?" I asked, ignoring his subtle question. I didn't know if I would stick my neck out for anyone like that. Maybe Luis, but anyone else? I couldn't answer that question. 

"I don't know yet, but I might be late to our meeting at Bertha's. Please wait for me because I want you to tell me everything, Matt. It's unbelievable how little I know about you after all this time."

I waved my free hand around, frustrated. "I know, Dom. I swear I won't leave anything out when we talk. I know it's dangerous to go to the restaurant, but I have to get my bike."

 "Matty, I can buy you hundreds of bikes. You know I have money."

I squirmed at the offer. Yes, I knew Dom had money. He'd made a fortune with crypto with the pay he got from his father. Dom was sweet and pleasant, but the man was also good with money.  He was the reason why the restaurant was so successful, not his dad. 

 I wasn't going to take his money. He had offered time and again to help get me out of Aisa's treehouse and into a place of my own, but I didn't like charity. "Yeah, I know you can, but it was an early birthday present, and I can't leave it."

Luis had bought it for me several days before.

Dominic muttered under his breath. "I'll call you if I can't make it."

"You better make it, or I'll be coming to the police station to get you."

His surprised puff of laughter warmed me. I didn't realize how smoky his voice sounded over the phone. He had a radio DJ kind of voice. "Okay, I gotta go. And I..." There was a long pause; then, he spoke on an exhale. "Well, be careful, Matty."