Chapter Twenty-Seven

I went down the line of the rest of my court. Dominic blushed like he was the bride in this mess and touched the mark on his forehead with a smile. I discovered that with each of the sealings I did, another teardrop shape formed on my forehead. Afterward, It occurred to me it was petals and not teardrops.

He held my hand to stop me before I could move on. "Matt, I wanted to say how amazing it is to be a part of your life like this, even if it might be temporary. I hope it won't be."

I leaned forward and whispered,  "You'll always be a part of my life." As I said that, I experienced a hum along the line between us as it glowed brightly. Even though a day ago, Dom had only been a casual friend, I knew it was true.

And I'd just made an oath to him that sealed it. 

Dominic put his hand to his chest as his expression turned tender. "I love how our link feels when you're happy."

I blushed and moved along. I could tell that he hadn't realized that he had received an oath from me. He was just happy.

 I moved down to Adrian. Dominic had called me their bride, and it reminded me that this exchange wasn't a formality. When I completed this, I'd have six husbands, and they would have one wife. In the eyes of this world, it would be a legally binding union, and they would expect me to rule my husbands as they lost their rights to have someone who loved them exclusively.

The unfairness of this country's culture wiped the smile from my face. Was it the same way all over Aleria? Adrian stared at me while I stood there, buried in torturous thinking. He appeared as uncertain as I felt.

"It will be fine if you don't want to do this, Adrian," I said, once I noticed he was waiting for me to do something other than stare blankly at him.

He looked at the root, binding us. "I won't back out. I gave you my word on it."

His eyes widened as another oath shimmered between us. "I felt... something."

I nodded, looking at him seriously. "You just gave me an oath. Did you mean it?"

He thought about it, then gave me a lopsided smile. "I guess I do. Crazy, right?"

As I bit my bottom lip, I said, "I swear, I'll figure out some way to get it annulled, and I won't try anything either."

"Maybe I might... no, forget I said that." He looked away, and I felt embarrassment ooze from him. "I don't even know what I'm saying," he mumbled.

"You and me both, Adrian." My laugh was unsteady as I tried to decipher what he had meant to say. "So, are we going to do this?" I gave him one last chance to escape as I touched his hand.

A faint dimple appeared on his cheek as his lips quirked into a smile.   He smoothed my yellow hair that got loose from my tight bun, then touched my cheek. "Go for it. We'll figure something out."

"Okay, if you're sure..."

After he nodded, we said the words, and I anointed his head with oil and kissed it. After I drew back, he sighed and pressed the spot on his forehead where I marked him. Then I let go of his hand and touched my lips. Maybe it was because I had a part of his soul in me, but it felt like there was a pushing and pulling sensation when I had kissed him. I shook my head with a small nervous laugh and moved down the row.

Ciaran was not easier to face. His expression was placid, but the little storms in his opalescent eyes flashed as I took his hands. The kiss on his forehead sparked the wild conduit that laid beneath his skin, and a glow formed around our bodies.

I clutched at his arm, and he placed his forehead against mine. "If you keep touching our link the way you do, Princess, I won't be responsible for my actions, and this is neither the time or place. I'm surprised at how easily it came to you to make a nexus with me" He booped my nose. "You're a natural."