Chapter Thirty-Three

Once we got home, Luke took me to the cemetery as promised. It was close to dinnertime, so Dominic said he'd help Danela make me a fabulous meal, which I was hoping I'd be able to enjoy once we returned.

I wasn't sure that I'd have the strength to eat after seeing My mother's grave. But if anyone could tempt my appetite, it would be Dominic.

The other members of my court had things to do as well, so they couldn't come with us. Adrian was helping the new members of our team find sleeping arrangements, and Erick chose to participate in that rather than dare to ask me if he could come. We settled Brin in an unused music room with double doors which led to the back gardens so that he didn't have to stay in human form, and he was getting himself settled in. 

Ciaran had asked the banmuinen to work a bit more on their sword work since they had done little while we were at the training grounds. Hence, he was seeing to their progress.

Luis hated graveyards. He had a fear of the dead, which always made me wonder why he stuck to me, considering my powers. Luis tolerated my little birds and dealt with the ghosts, but he wouldn't set a toe into a cemetery. I worried about him, seeing as we would be entering the underworld. So far, he hadn't seemed fazed by the idea. Then again, he spent so much time fretting over what others might do or not do to me I don't think it had hit him yet. 

Nevertheless, that meant that Luke and I took our stroll alone.  The winds that flurried the snowy landscape had died down, and the night was clear and crisp. Someone had cleared a path to the cemetery, making our progress more manageable.

I was well bundled with an orange muffler, heavy violet coat, and a black stocking hat with pink tassels on the end. Luke was wearing a light jacket over our new uniform. The others had switched to regular clothes, but he'd not taken off his yet. Luke was walking like a stern sentry beside me. His copper hair gleamed under the soft moonlight of the twin moons this world possessed, and it emphasized how otherworldly he was.

"How are you not cold, Luke? I remember you greeted me the other day in just a suit."

"My elemental fire abilities."

"Oh yeah, I remember you saying that thing about fire during training. So that's why you don't get cold?" I hugged my body to gather more warmth to myself and recalled how much like a furnace he was at the Becoming ceremony.

"That is correct." He seemed like he was taking a walk on a spring day, and I was jealous.

"Oh, well, that's lucky. I wish I had that superpower. I hate being cold." I blew on my hands, which were still suffering a chill even in the thick gloves.

"I will make you a necklace to ward off the cold when I get back tonight. I also have some skill in metal magic and am sought by many for my jewelry. I can imbue metal with various spells."

That was... sweet. "I think you should probably rest up rather than make me a necklace. Don't we need to start bright and early tomorrow with our task?"

"It will not take much time." He looked at me with a tender smile that disarmed me. I wasn't expecting the way his face looked younger and more vulnerable.

My heart skipped a beat, and I put a hand to my chest. "If you insist, then. That will be helpful."

"You are welcome." His smile grew, and I was once again struck by how handsome he looked.

"You should do that more."

"What is it I should do?" He tilted his head.

"Smile."