Chapter Thirty-Seven

Despite my angry statement the night before to Adrian, going to my trial without Luis by my side felt like I was trying to breathe air without my lungs. But if my win would help my mother's world and my victory would also mean the freedom of an oppressed people, then I had to keep moving.

We had to take two vehicles because of the growing size of my entourage. Erick and Brin, the replacement for Luis, were in the other limo, along with Elsie and Beth. Jeanne, Adrian, Luke, Ciaran, and Dominic made up the party limo with me.

"I would give you all the apples of Hesperides for your thoughts, little Princess."

I made the mistake of meeting Ciaran's eyes because then I remembered what happened the night before. "I'll pass," I mumbled as I squashed my head into my shoulders like a turtle.

He chuckled as he sat back in his seat. But there was a heat in his eyes, and I received a tug on my link. I denied his metaphysical attempt to play footsies with me with a sharp, mental push back and he chuckled again. Luke narrowed his eyes at him when I blushed.

"Stop toying with Madeline, old man. Your position here is suspect enough without you addling her poor mind."

When I kicked Luke's shin, he grunted and rubbed it, then looked at me in surprise.

"My poor mind? Really?" I scowled.

"I only meant that Ciaran is a crafty god who might not be on your side."

"Me?" Ciaran chuckled. "Oh Luke, if you're not the blackest pot in existence, I don't know who is."

"Guys, stop bickering," Dominic said as he draped his arm over me. "See how tired she is!"

I was tired, but I wasn't five. "Could everyone stop patronizing me at least until the end of this trial?" That being said, I didn't push Dominic's arm off of me. I might have actually snuggled closer. I don't know.

Jeanne squeezed my hand and whispered, "So many swains after your heart. I've not seen such a court that adores their Elect so, My Lady."

Not Jeanne too! I made a spluttering sound with my lips, then closed my eyes. Adrian caused them to open wide again as he spoke to me through my link.

"Just ignore them all, G. You've got this."

I smiled at him and thought back to him, "How'd you figure out how to do this?"

"I remembered how it felt when you contacted me and did the opposite."

"This could be amazingly useful."

"Right? I'm feeling pretty special now. I was wondering what I could do with no powers. This gives me some rep now."

"No lie! You even have the power to cure insomnia."

"Oh, so I'm boring, huh?"

I twisted my lips with my fingers to keep me from grinning. "Sorry."

"Well, you can make up for insulting me by joining the boy band when we get back to earth."

"Consider it done." I laughed out loud, and Dominic squeezed me.

"What's so funny, Matty?" he asked.

I shook my head as I forced myself not to look at Adrian. I wanted to keep it a secret for a little while longer, especially from Luke and Ciaran. It would be nice to have an ace if they wound up using me.

"Don't tell anyone yet," I thought to Adrian.

"Got it."

I noticed that the guys in the limo didn't seem all that heartbroken that Luis wasn't with us - Dominic especially. He'd began chattering away about Danela and all that he'd learned, all while cuddling me closer. If Luis had been there, he'd have tried to figure out how to sit on both sides of me and would have bitten Dominic's arm off at the shoulder.