Chapter Twenty-Two

At six, I stared over the balcony as the guests arrived. All of the women wore veils, but they also wore some of the most exquisite dresses I'd ever seen. One dress looked like an actual waterfall on a lady's body. It escaped being scandalous through a heavy hand with the foam. I gaped at all the finery and felt envy rise from me like an adder.

"So not fair..." I whined.

As I moaned about all the finery I couldn't wear, Emerlee appeared like a vision in a dress made of a thousand iridescent scales. She felt my scrutiny of her and looked up at me. Her lips curled into a sinister grin as she entered the archway to the right. 

I clattered down the steps as I tried to run after Emerlee, but Luke caught me by the hand before I could go charging after her.

"Why's she here!" I pointed towards the archway with a hiss.

"Do not make a scene, My Lady," Luke murmured into my ear. "Your grandfather insisted that she be allowed to come. I did not have enough evidence that she was responsible for trying to kill you to block it. I will make sure to keep an eye on her."

I turned to glare at him, then noticed that he was wearing a dark green tunic that made his copper hair glow. With the bronze-colored cape, he was stunning. It took me a few minutes of staring before I remembered my outrage. "Can't you uninvite her?"

"I cannot because she has the right to appeal to the high priestess. She will not win, so hold your head high."

I straightened my posture and nodded as I pulled my hand away. Although my heart raced the minute Luke's hand had held mine, I was angry that Emerlee could stroll around after trying to assassinate me.

More footsteps sounded on the stairs, so I turned from Luke. The guys were resplendent in velvet tunics and darker leather breeches in the same hue. Shining black boots were on their feet, and capes of complementary colors draped around their shoulders, fastened at their necks with my crest. Luis's attire was all black, except for a design down the front of the tunic that was reminiscent of icicles. Adrian wore a white tunic and a teal cape that brought the green out in his eyes. Dominic wore a blue tunic and a darker blue cloak. Erick was unhappy in yellow, for it did nothing for his skin.

"Oh my gosh, guys. You all look like studs!" I cried, forgetting about Emerlee for a moment.

Dominic grinned, and I noticed that the blue tunic made his gray eyes look just as blue. He tamed his hair by slicking it back, which made him look debonair. "Thanks, Matt. But, why are you wearing that?" He waved his hands up and down at my gray gunny sack.

"Rules," I said with a sulk.

"I'm sorry. I know how much you love color." Dominic patted my shoulder, and I put my hand over his. Cotton candy affection settled over me, and I smiled up at him.

Adrian brushed his tunic down as he stood next to me. "I rarely wear white."

"Well, it looks great on you," I gushed. "It makes your skin look amazing."

He blinked at me before grinning. "Thanks, Matt. You keep piling compliments on me, and I might get a colossal head."

I grinned back. "Well, we can't have that."

"Please," Luke said as he held out his hand. With a grumpy face, I took his hand and let him guide me forward.

My banmuinen followed like navy shadows behind us as we entered the archway and found the ballroom. My eyes searched the room for Emerlee, but I didn't see her among the crowd.

The footman saw us and stood at attention. Then he announced to us. "The Elect Madeline, daughter of the lost Brigid, and her Court."

There was a smattering of applause, but no one came to greet us until a young woman stepped forward. Instead of a full veil covering her face, her eyes were the only thing covered by a strip of semi-transparent lace. She had a pale, elfin face and her hair was a mass of auburn ringlets that shivered like aspen leaves when she walked. She was wearing a midnight blue robe and had a crown of silvery thorns and oak leaves on her head. It looked like an uncomfortable hat.