Chapter Forty

Once Luis and I were alone, I asked him, "So, what are you doing here?"

"I always come when you're in trouble. You know that." He was still staring at me in my finery. This would be the first time he saw me in a verifiable dress.

"You left me knowing there could be trouble. How do I know you won't leave again? You've been making this whole situation even worse by being jealous and demanding, which you've no right to be."

He walked closer until he was nose to nose with me. "I have every right to be jealous because I've been with you from the start. In fact, I was your first kiss, and I intend to be your last."

"Incorrect. Erick was my first kiss."

"No, I gave you your first kiss when you were five and I was seven. Shortly after we fell together, and you saved us both, I kissed you."

I blinked in surprise at this new information. This would mean that Dominic was actually my fourth kiss. I did not know so many had touched my lips. I felt momentarily sordid, then I shrugged. "Irrelevant. You had plenty of chances in the four years I've known you to both come clean with me and make a move on me. You did neither. Regardless, you're still my best friend. I still care about you. Is it love? I don't think so. Love means trust, and you've neither given me nor won my complete trust."

"Then, the first thing I need to do is to come clean with you."

I shrugged again. "Yeah, that would be a start."

"The underworld is my true home. I was raised there by the Underworld king. Growing up in the underworld is hard, especially as a child. The only way to escape is to be summoned like a demon to earth. After what happened, I was finally free to live outside of the underworld, and I found out there are others like me on the earth - other underworld beings."

"How come you never told me about them?"

He sat down on the bed, and I sat beside him. "I wanted you to stay as innocent as I could keep you. The others are not like me." He looked guilty. "If it hadn't been for me...

"If it hadn't been for you... I might not have made it my first year." I finished for him. "Why would I think less of you? You'd think you'd know me by now. My lack of experience in the relationship area doesn't mean I can't figure out what's best for me. I'm nearly an adult, Luis. So, you're leading these guys?"

"In a way... I want the changes, and I want to keep you safe. My plans hinge on your safety."

He was hiding things again, and my irritation rose. "I want safety too, but we're miles away from safe. I've had three assassination attempts. Someone doesn't like me very much, don't you think? I get that you've been my big brother all these years, and you think I'm being an idiot. But, I think I need to see all this through. "

"I don't see you as a little brother, Matt. No, I see you as mine. Haven't I told you that enough times?"

"You have, but I'm done with being your doll, Luis. You can't keep me on a shelf and live my life for me. It was fine while I was still a kid, but now I need more than that."

"You need all these other guys?" He arched a brow.

"No..." I punched him in the arm. "Well, yes... but not like that." I breathed in as I considered my recent actions and blew the breath back out as I shook my head. Maybe that wasn't true. "Okay, fine. I have to admit that I'm not immune to it. But, I have a job, so I'm trying to keep things friendly and not go too deep. There's already the whole thing with Luke and Ciaran wanting to be my royal consort. But, what I really need is people who can see the big picture and help me win these trials."