Chapter Forty-One

"... what?"

It seemed such a reasonable request. He was my father, and Duir had imprisoned him for trying to do good, or at least he saw it that way. His good intentions had led to a catastrophe, sure, but he'd intended for his gift to help humans.

Ciaran was leaning forward in his seat, eyes riveted to me. I could see "say yes" in his eyes. It was then that I realized this was the real reason he'd given me that key. He wanted me to release my father, but why couldn't he do that himself? I grimaced at the ease that I'd taken his gift, thinking it was a way to free my friends. But that wasn't it, was it? No, he'd been waiting for this moment. The question was, what was in it for him?

"That is not a good idea, Madeline." Luke spat. "For all we know, your father is lying and he will cause another disaster."

"He will cause a disaster? It's been Aisa gunning for me this whole time!"

Luke dragged his fingers down his face in frustration. "That has been a painful realization. While I understand her desire to avenge her own child, I could not forgive her if she bore the real responsibility for the Brigid's death." He bowed his head. "And... you've become more to me than an obligation to fulfill. I had not planned for that."

I hadn't planned for all this emotional turmoil, either, but here we were.

"Luke... when are you going to realize that these Edentrees are more like the greek gods and goddesses and not anything like the infallible beings you think they are? Are you seriously going to side with someone who's against me just because she's more powerful than we are?"

"Madeline, I spent my entire life in worship of her. Because of this, I still want to believe in her goodness and I believe she means the best for Aleria. But, you are my Elect, and I wish to devote myself to you as well." He took my hands and kissed them.

"I can't make you let go of your beliefs, and I don't want to. I just hope that you can learn to see beyond the pretty facade to all the Edentrees' human personalities and frailties. In my eyes, they aren't God."

"I never wished to be a god, Daughter," My father cut in.

"No? You've spent a lot of time messing with humans from what I can see." I said, as I turned to face him.

"Only to see them possess a better advantage. There are so many with more powers than they. Is it not sad? I have always felt that way, so I did something about it." He shrugged. "Change is a messy thing, Daughter. Not everyone desires it. But change and choice are necessary, are they not?"

"Yes, I suppose." I looked over at Dominic and Adrian, who were already experiencing many changes. They now had some powers of the sort and actually seemed to like them. "What about you guys, what do you think I should do?"

"I understand difficult dads, Matt. But I agree we don't know him very well. I'll support you if you decide to free him, but I completely understand if you don't." He smiled at me.

Adrian was less than willing to trust my father. "I don't know, Matt. Seems like there's many people who need something from you, but what do you get out of all this?"

"That's a brilliant question, Adrian." Then I looked at Ciaran. "Is this the bargain I made when you gave me the key?"

Ciaran walked towards me and went down on one knee in front of me. I fidgeted as I realized that someone older than rocks was being so humble. He took one of my hands and drew me closer so he could press it against his cheek. "I can't deny it. However, you have a bargain that you can place on me, and a bargain you can place on your father. You have all the power here, Madeline."