- s i x -

Usually, soccer relaxed me.

It was my time to clear my mind and brush aside my problems. A time to only focus on the ball in front of me and the way it felt sprinting across the field.

Lukas has ruined that now.

My mate ruined it.

My mate.

I can't quite wrap my head around it yet. I have met my soulmate that I am destined to be with for the remainder of my life and there's nothing I can do to stop it.

Well, I could reject him, but that would end up killing me and I don't want to die. Not yet at least. I'll give myself maybe a few more years but after that, bye bye life. I've lived enough. I've seen enough.

To rephrase, I don't want to die because of Lukas.

In 20 more minutes, I'll be in my car, on my way to a hotel where I will temporarily be living. How has my life taken this turn.

I stopped thinking when coach blew his whistle to signal to us to come over to him. In all honesty, I forgot I was still running.

I jogged over to the coach along with my teammates. My human teammates were winded and panting for air but my werewolf teammates looked like they went for a light jog. I guess that is one downside of being human, their stamina sucks.

Not saying my teammates out of shape, they have great stamina—for humans. Werewolves get the luxury of advanced systems. We can do everything for a lot longer.

I'd still take a sucky endurance over a life-long mate though.

"Alright, good job today boys. Practice tomorrow and then big game on Tuesday. We lost to these suckers once, let's not do it again."

Coach's speech was short but to the point. I liked it. I don't like pointless conversation.

We did a break down and everyone dispersed.

I took of my cleats and threw them in my bag. I slipped on my slides and gathered all my belongings to leave. Hotel here I come.

I walked to my car and dumped my bag in the backseat and got into the drivers seat. I looked up the address of the hotel that Keagan sent me on iMaps. It was about 20 minutes from me.

I sighed and started my drive.

*****

I checked into the hotel room and dumped all my stuff and flopped onto the bed.

My thoughts swirled around my mate once again. I can't help them. They push their way into my head and never leave. I think about his face, his voice, the short conversations I've had with him. The thought of missing him was in the back of my mind and I blocked it immediately. It's the mate bond talking. Not me. He's nothing but a curse. I'm free from him for now. He's nowhere around to stop me.

I should go out and get laid. Celebrate my freedom. I need to get with a girl after all this gay shit I've been around.

That's what I'm going to do.

I rummaged through my bag to find my fake ID. I hope I brought it. There's this club downtown that never questioned your ID. They didn't care and I loved it. It's popular among teenagers but lowkey enough that not a lot of adults know about it.