three: i was dead

Quinn never came back to our room last night

Quinn never came back to our room last night. Not that I minded, though. I didn't want to be surrounded by those weird girls again. I knew I would eventually have to be around them, but not then. I was glad to have the room all to myself, to be honest. Back home, I didn't have a room to myself since I had to share the room with Mom in our tiny apartment. 

Sitting up in bed, I took another look around the room. Quinn's bed was a mess of blankets and technology, like she was working in bed before Zoey and I had got there. The small screen in the wall was dark, and I found out last night that the screen was connected to a camera located in Zoey's room. Quinn was one weird girl. 

My eyes shifted over to the window. The sunlight was coming in through the slats of the blinds, hitting the ground in rectangles. It wasn't too bright in the room, so I slid out of the bed and opened the blinds up. Quinn's stuff was lit up in the sunlight, and I let out a sigh. I didn't know how I was going to survive living with this girl. 

The first day of class was today, and I wanted to be early for my first class. Turning back toward my stuff, I grabbed the piece of paper that had my schedule on it. I almost let out a scream when I saw what my first class of the day was: gym. 

Who in their right mind would have put me in gym for first hour? Didn't they know how awful gym class can be, especially in high school? I wished that I had time to talk to the counselors; if I did have time to do so, I would tell them to change up my schedule. If there was a possibility for me to talk to them later today, I would. 

I slipped out of my pajamas, throwing them onto my messed up bed. Mom was always griping at me to make my bed back home, but I never did, and I won't here, either. There was no point in rolling out of bed in the morning, making the bed, and then messing it back up later that night. It just didn't make any sense to me. 

After I put on my clothes for the day, I remembered something that I saw on my schedule. There were some notes next to each class, telling us what we needed for the first day. Beside gym class, it said that I needed to bring a swimsuit, just in case we used the pool today. I knew I would need to have a swimsuit. It was a good thing I packed my only one. Taking it out of my suitcase (which reminded me, I needed to start putting my things in the dressers), I threw the dark blue suit into my PCA-issued backpack. 

Sitting down in front of the mirror tacked to the wall, I pulled my hair over my shoulder. I had it up in a ponytail overnight, but I guess I was too restless as I slept, because my hair had come out of the ponytail. I needed a shower, but it would have to wait until after school today because of first hour gym class. Separating my hair into three pieces, I started pulling it back into a tight braid. That would keep my hair from looking gross and greasy as well as not make it tangly from the water if we swam today. 

Once I was finished, I stood back up and slung my backpack over my shoulder. It was better for me if I didn't eat in the mornings; I had learned that swimming immediately after eating something was a bad thing. Plus, I wasn't very hungry at the moment.