six: loner

It had been a week since I got into trouble

It had been a week since I got into trouble. I noticed that all of my teachers kept a close eye on me, like I was going to mess up. It was a little disheartening, but I pushed through my bad feelings and kept to myself. Logan didn't mess with me once, which was a good thing. If he wanted to mess with me, I wasn't going to hold back. He needed to learn not to mess with me, or else something bad would happen to him. I sounded like a bad person, but I hated being messed with.

My hair flew behind my shoulders as I rocketed forward on my skateboard. I held tightly to my bag that was slung over my shoulder, my knuckles turning white. People made a wide berth around me like I couldn't maneuver my way through the crowd. I had been riding a skateboard ever since I was a little girl; it was ingrained in my very being. That was why I wanted to do something with skateboarding once I grew up. I wanted to design the best boards but sell them cheap, so that anyone can get them, no matter what. It seemed like a long ways away, but I was ready for it. 

The hot sun beat down on me, but it was hard to feel because of the cool wind passing around me. A rare smile appeared on my face as I let my walls fall down. Riding my skateboard was on of my favorite things to do, and it was the only time that I could be myself without judgement from others. I was going too fast for them to get a good look at me, so they couldn't be sure who zoomed past them. 

The tables where we ate lunch came into view. I wasn't excited to go eat alone yet again, but that was life. I was alone a lot, though I wasn't complaining. I was a loner, and I liked it that way. Sometimes. Sometimes, being alone was . . . well, lonely. I tried not to focus on the sad parts of being alone, though. It was better to be by myself and be lonely than to be with people who made me feel insecure. I learned that the hard way. 

As I got closer to the outside cafeteria, another kid on a skateboard appeared next to me. My smile dropped off of my face as I glanced to my left. It was Logan Reese. 

"What are you doing?" I called out, slowing down ever so slightly. He looked like he was struggling to breathe, which meant that he had to have zoomed after me. 

"Zoey told me to go after you since I have a skateboard," Logan said, taking a small break in between some words. "Why can't you stop for a second so I can talk to you?" I did as he asked, making him frown. I bet he thought I was going to fight him on it, but I wasn't that rude. "Zoey wanted to know if you want to eat with us at lunch."

"Are you sure this is Zoey's work?" I kicked my skateboard up into the air and caught it, tucking it underneath my arm. Logan sucked in a huge breath, and I grinned at him. I wasn't struggling to breathe, like he was. "You are known to get on my nerves, Reese. I swear, if this is one of your games -"

Logan glared at me, crossing his arms over his chest. He kept his skateboard underneath his foot, securing it in place. "You can't fight me. I heard about your little Strike One thing, which means you only have two more tries before you're out of here."