sixteen: finally letting go

The sound of the basketball hitting the outer rim of the hoop was the only sound I could hear

The sound of the basketball hitting the outer rim of the hoop was the only sound I could hear. Even in the darkness, I was able to see it bounce away from me, making my sour mood worsen. I swore that the basketball was doing that on purpose, avoiding me like I avoided everyone today, but it was an inanimate object, so it really couldn't do that. Not really, but I wanted to believe it. I needed to believe it.

My feet carried me over to the ball, and I scooped it up in my arms. It was slightly on the cooler side, and chills spread all over me. I didn't know that it was going to be cold tonight, but I didn't care. I bounced the ball a couple of times as I walked back to the free-throw line. Staring at the hoop, I could feel the doubt creeping into my mind again. Shaking my head, I banished the thoughts from my mind. I wasn't one to allow doubts to plague my mind, and I wasn't going to start now.

But could I really banish the thoughts from my mind? I tried that for so, so long, and yet, I ended up letting everything go today. My mind flashed back to my breakdown earlier, and I cringed at myself. I didn't even know where I ran to before breaking down. Honestly, I don't remember much from the breakdown, but maybe that was a good thing. I could feel the remnants from it, though, with the tear streaks heading down my cheeks and the slight headache still situated above my right eye and the guilt that coursed through my veins for shoving Zoey away from me. 

No one had bothered to look for me, and even if I was grateful for that, I also slightly wished that someone distracted me from my pain. I was used to being alone and dealing with it alone, but I was so depressed and exhausted today that I desperately wanted someone to tear me away from my own thoughts. I had hoped that this basketball game by myself would take my mind off things, but it hasn't done a very good job of that.

Lifting both of my arms up, I shot the ball. It soared through the air, almost in slow motion. Slight happiness spread through me as I watched the ball head straight toward the hoop. It hit the backboard, spinning around and around on the rim. My smile faltered when it fell over the side, not going through the net. It bounced dejectedly away from me, and I let out a small sigh.

"You have good aim," a voice said from behind me. A small scream burst from my lips, and I spun around, spotting Logan standing at the edge of the basketball court. His hands were stuffed in his pants pockets, and his face was in the shadows. 

"Did you really have to scare me, Logan?"

"I didn't mean to," he said, chuckling. In the darkness, I couldn't see him, but I felt him hesitate before saying, "Do you mind if I join you?"

"You'll join me, anyway, won't you?"

"Not if you don't want me to."

"Oh." Surprise moved through my body at his words. Usually, he was the pushiest person I knew, but tonight, he wasn't. What was the deal? I moved to the side, throwing my arm out to the side. "Be my guest."

Logan walked forward, throwing me a smile over his shoulder. The same butterflies that I felt whenever he was around went through my stomach, making me grind my teeth together. I didn't want to feel this way about him. Instead of focusing on my feelings, I looked over at him. He had the sad looking basketball in his hands and was walking toward me. I moved out of his way but stayed near him.