( 𝐱𝐱𝐢𝐱.)

▬▬ι══════༻❁༺══════ι▬▬

THE DUEL blazes on, the sounds of clashing metal echoing across the plains of Beruna and to the edges of Narnia. I almost feel relieved to not be watching it, focused instead on my own mission. I have enough to worry about without waiting anxiously for one of the kings to kill the other. So long as the Telmarine army remains silent and watching, I know the fight rages on and Peter Pevensie lives. And that's enough for me.

By now, all six ballistae are disabled and I'm almost through the drive chain of the last trebuchet. In another few seconds, I can finally escape into the trees and rejoin the Narnians.

The threads snap and break apart beneath my talon until the rope falls away, severed and unusable.

I stand up and approach the captain, who's still busy checking his men. "Captain."

He turns around.

"No evidence of sabotage," I tell him. "But if you notice any, report it immediately."

He nods. "Yes sir."

With that, he returns to questioning his soldiers and I proceed past the tenth battalion, intending to make my way along the rear lines as if returning to the camp. I regret this decision the moment I round the soldiers of the tenth and find Lord Donnon riding in my direction atop a black horse. Three soldiers accompany him on foot and I can just about feel their eyes burning into me from behind their metal face masks. I can't do anything except keep walking, even as I hear shouting arise from the Lists.

I need to leave now before the cut bowstrings and dangling drive chains can be traced back to me. But Lord Donnon has aimed his path directly to intercept mine.

Aslan help me. I might just have to abandon anonymity and risk a quick escape right now.

"Soldier!" Donnon barks. "Identify yourself!"

I meet the grey-haired lord's deadly stare and stop in my tracks, dipping into a bow. "Sergeant Runivi, my lord."

The armoured horse halts in front of me, shaking out its mane. "And what are your orders?" He prompts.

"To check for –"

"To arms, Telmar!" General Glozelle's voice carries all the way from the front lines. "To arms!"

The Telmarines roar in response, raising their spears and fists to the sky. My pulse kicks into high speed but Donnon and his men appear indifferent to the situation, still awaiting my response.

I clear my throat and try again. Don't fire the trebuchets don't fire the trebuchets...

"To check for imposters and possible sabotage to the machines, my lord."

"Hm." He sniffs and looks me up and down, unimpressed. A moment later, the trebuchets' arms begin to move as the operating teams commence the siege. I watch with both satisfaction and horror as the drive chains reach their severed end and the double arms at each of the machines hang uselessly. Chaos ensues as the units scramble to find what's wrong.