( 𝐱𝐢𝐢.)

▬▬ι══════༻❁༺══════ι▬▬

"I THINK that went well," Edmund says sarcastically. With an irritated sigh, Queen Susan rolls her eyes and goes after the High King, severely unimpressed by his earlier display.

Lucy sighs and looks between me and Trumpkin, an apologetic smile on her face. "I'm sorry," she murmurs, shoulders shrugging helplessly.

"Don't worry about it," I say reassuringly. Trumpkin, ever full of surprises, smiles at the young Queen and inclines his head. Ever so slightly, her smile widens and she follows in Susan's footsteps. The dwarf then politely gestures for me and Edmund to go on ahead of him. And so, our company resumes its trek through the winding canyons of the Lost Rocks.

Like Lucy had, Edmund apologizes for Peter's behaviour. I want to tell him his brother is an ass, but think better of it and swallow my annoyance, though I'm positive he read the displeasure in my eyes anyway.

It isn't long until we at last leave the maze-like confinements of the Lost Rocks behind us, trading treacherous, sloping stone paths for mossy grass and greenery. Despite my toughened, calloused feet, I'm relieved to be walking on the soft ground once again. Edmund must notice this because he brushes his shoulder against mine and asks in a teasing voice if I'd like for him to carry me.

I grin and push him away. "Thank you," I muse, "but I'll manage."

"Do you hear that?" Lucy asks, causing everyone to stop and listen.

"Water," I answer, my ears picking up the distant sound of a rushing stream.

Excited, Lucy begins walking again with newfound energy, followed by the rest of her siblings. I'm almost positive there's a ravine up ahead, and for once I pray that I'm wrong.

The sound of the flowing water grows louder until finally, the trees break and Peter, Susan and Lucy come to a stop, staring down into a crevasse in the earth. All the hope the siblings have is washed away with the appearance of the gorge.

"You see," Susan begins, "over time, water erodes the earth's soil; carving deep into the–"

"Oh, shut up."

Edmund looks down at Trumpkin, who stands beside him wearing his ever-present frown. "Is there a way down?"

"Yeah," the dwarf replies sardonically, "falling."

Peter and his sisters turn away from the ravine. "Well we weren't lost," he clarifies in an attempt to maintain some dignity. I feel some pity for the king, who's clearly having a hard time believing how long they've been gone — how much Narnia has changed.

"There's a ford near Beruna," Trumpkin offers. "How do you feel about swimming?"

Beruna?