( 𝐢𝐱.)

▬▬ι══════༻❁༺══════ι▬▬

THE SWORD slips from my fingers and fear shoots through me like lightning, spurring my body into action. The change happens so fast I almost don't realize I'm a fraction of my former size and hurtling through the air as a hawk. Adrenaline surges through my veins, nullifying the pain that should accompany my transformation. From behind me, Susan is shouting. "Stay away from her!" But the bear thundering after Lucy as she runs desperately to her siblings is completely wild.

Another transformation tears through my body mid-air, a powerful, furious roar exploding from deep in my chest before my paws even hit the pebbled ground. The black bear doesn't falter from the sudden appearance of another bear and roars back, equally as enraged. The sinewy muscles beneath my rusty fur are strong and coiled as I charge without pause, ready to defend my queen.

Lucy trips and sprawls across the ground, screaming in terror as the beast bears down on her. Determination rushes through me and another, angrier roar rips through my throat before I launch myself at the massive animal.

The bear rises on his hind legs with a deafening roar as I slam into him. He snaps his jaws at me as we crash to the ground in an angry heap of claws and teeth and fur. I scramble to find my balance and bite at any exposed fur I find, striking at his head with my heavy paws, praying Lucy makes it to safety.

The animal stands up, towering over me for a moment before he surges forward with bared teeth. I meet him halfway, my own jaws wide open and snapping at his massive face. Metallic blood fills my mouth and then he breaks my momentary hold, claws scratching my sides as he pushes me away. Heat floods my wounds and I barely have time to stand up again before he's upon me with a bellowing roar, slamming his paws into me and biting ferociously at my neck.

Lucy is screaming and someone else is yelling but all I can focus on is avoiding claws and teeth and keeping the beast far away from them.

He gets his mouth around my throat and I thrash violently before his teeth can pierce flesh. I get my paws on the bear's chest and throw him off of me with as much force as I can muster. He's definitely heavier than that boat.

The animal skids across the ground, sending pebbles flying and skittering in all directions. He rises up onto his back legs with an enraged roar that I match in volume.

An arrow buries itself into his shoulder. Susan.

Infuriated, he turns toward his new assailant and another arrow — this one smaller — sinks into his heart, turning his hostile roar agonized. All the tension in my body evaporates when the black bear collapses into a motionless heap.

A pained, shuddering breath wracks my chest as I drop down to all four paws and catch my breath. All at once, my aching muscles and limbs hit me — harder than the bear's paws had.