Chapter 1: Valentine's Day Is Any Other Day for Single People

"I don't understand why Cupid was chosen to represent Valentine's Day. When I think of romance, the last thing on my mind is a short, chubby toddler coming at me with a weapon."

It was like any normal day in Angeles Heights High School. Only one thing, it was Valentine's Day. All six of my friends were scrunched up in a table during lunch.

Phoebe Miller 'the hopeless romantic' squealed, "How was your Valentine's Day you guys? Already I got 5 roses, 9 cards and a teddy bear."

She hugged the life out of the store-bought bear. I sighed, I didn't expect any less from the pretty Phoebe.

"Your teddy is sooo cute Phoebe," Karen Brewer 'the cute one' giggled. "I'm so jelly of you, can I hold him?"

"I don't see why not." She passed the bear to Karen who gave the bear a squeeze.

"My day was pretty good, got 9 love letters and 20, I mean 14 chocolates now." Janice Ortiz the 'fashionista' smiled. "I saved some for you guys, happy V-day."

"Aw, thanks Janice," Dylan Wagner 'the sporty one' said, taking a chocolate. "I love your outfit by the way, it gives out the Valentine theme."

"Why thank you," Janice said posing her red plaid skirt and red tank top with jewelry to match. "I chose simple, do you like?"

Charlie laughed. "When it comes to Janice, there's no such thing as simple."

"Oh shut up Charlotte," Janice grinned. Fully knowing that Charlie Owens 'the musical one', since she's in the school band and knows the hottest songs from the hottest artists, hates being called that.

"Hey! Don't call me by that name!" Charlie said.

I looked up from my history book. "Quit it Janice, it's Valentine's day. Show some love."

"Why don't you, Juliette? All you do it stick your nose in your textbooks," Janice said.

"Yeah, tell us your day," Dylan pleaded.

I went back to my book, "I don't give a damn."

Phoebe gasped, "It's Valentine's Day, you better give a damn."

Charlie grabbed my book from my hands.

"You got to be kidding me," I growled. "I have a History test next period."

Karen pointed out, "Knowing you Juliette, you've study ever since you heard there was a test. And will ace it like it was nothing."

I rolled my eyes. "I'm not that much of a nerd."

I went over to Charlie who threw it to Dylan who naturally caught it. "Only if you tell us what you got."

"Fine you know what I got? I'll tell you, I only got one card."

Karen pouted, "Only one?"

"Yes, just one."

"Hell no, I'll punch every boy in your class to give you as many cards as you deserve." Charlie threatened. She can be surprisingly aggressive when you least expect it.

"And I'll be more than happy to help," Dylan said.

"I don't even care," I said. "But thanks for being there Charlie and Dylan."

"I'll give you my teddy," Phoebe offered. "He smells like deo- I mean chocolates and roses. I'm not into that."

I tried to hide a smile. "It's fine, really."

Janice sighed, "Well it's better to have one, anyway. It narrows it down, who you'll date."

"I don't want to date anyone, I'm not interested. All I want to do is-"