Chapter 9: Having a D in Math Means Death

I could feel Erik's eyes staring behind me. And it's annoying me like crazy! I still hate him. He's so despicable, unlikable, ugh. I should stop before I run out of adjectives. Then a voice interrupted me from my thoughts.

"Ms. Rivers, would you like to volunteer?"

I looked at Ms. Daniels my science/health teacher.

"Volunteer for what?"

"We've been learning about the food pyramid in health. And I'm asking if you could bring some food from the cafeteria's storage room that the school left for our class."

"Yeah sure." 

"Good, you and Ms. Thomson will retrieve them together."

"WHAT!?" We both asked in unison.

She frowned. "No excuses, now hurry up and come back."

"Fine." Rozelyn said.

"Yes Ms. Daniels," I muttered.

We shuffled out of class. I made a slight glance to Erik and we both locked eyes. His eyes looked like he was pleading for my forgiveness. But I just glared at him and walked out the door. 

I opened the cafeteria storage door. Cold mist rolled out of the storage room and towards us. I shivered from the cold air. Rozelyn and I took out the number of boxes we needed. We both kept our distances  and avoided eye contact with each other. 

"Hey Juliette we need 1 more box." Rozelyn breaking our silent treatment with each other. "Get it will you?"

"Sure, whatever."

I went inside the room to find no more boxes. I was about to turn around when I heard the unmistakable sound of a metal door shut behind me. In panic I banged on the door, yelling for Rozelyn. I peered through the door window finding Rozelyn standing in front of it, smirking. I screamed the nastiest cuss words that ever came out of my mouth.

Rozelyn asked innocently. "What? I can't hear you."

"Why are you doing this!?"

"You're in my way of my Erik."

I held the urge to rolling my eyes. She can hear me the little liar.

"Rozelyn, just let me out!"

"No." She said. "You can stay here until the lunch ladies come back to restock the supplies. If my math serves me correct, you'll survive until then."

She then walked away carrying the boxes for out health class. I banged on the door some more until my hands were red from the ice that covered the door. I yelled for help hoping for someone to hear me, until my throat was sore. But it was useless, no one will be here to let me out.

I suddenly thought of Erik and how I locked him in the school's recording room. At least his room wasn't negative 5 degrees, which mean freezing. I crumpled to the floor, sobbing quietly. Every minute I'm here and my body temperature decreases little by little. I'm going to die here, 16 years down the drain. Why the sudden lost in faith, you must ask?

Rozelyn has a D in math.

Juliette hates me. Repeat. Juliette hates me. She refuses to talk to me at school. It's driving me crazy, she's driving me crazy. I want to tell her that I'm sorry and that, yes, a bit of a stalker for not caring about her privacy. But she barely looks at me. I even tried talking to her friends. But she had all of them  ignore me too.

"Ms. Rivers, would you like to volunteer?"

Juliette's eyes shot to the front of the class. "Volunteer for what?"