Chapter 57

The Gall of Gammon

Disclaimer: This story is my humble attempt to write a fanfiction of the epic Mahabharata. My intention is not to hurt anyone's sentiment.

Aum Namah Shivay!!

Major Jayant Roy, SM is a fictitious character. Any similarity with any living person is merely a coincidence.

Chapter 57

Hastinapur, Dwapar Yuga

Bhishma POV

"So, you are telling me that among the kings presented in there, only Duryodhana managed to lift the bow and fire an arrow?"

"Not only Duryodhana, but also Angraaj Karna managed to lift the bow. But before he could fire his arrow, Rajkumari Draupadi rejected him by saying that she will not marry a sutputra." Vidura said to me. A few moments before, he came to me with news from Kampilya.

I heaved a sad sigh. A Maharathi like him must not be insulted like that. But we must upheld social rules.

"After the rejection of Karna, Duryodhana left the palace along with his companions. But before leaving he literally threatened the Rajkumari saying that she had to pay for it and even Narayana could not save her."

"Vasudev Krishna was present there, right?" I asked him.

"Yes, Tatshri, he was present there along with Haldhar Balrama. Duryodhana could not pierce the eye of the fish. According to my spy, he was shooting the arrow while his eyes closed. From Hastinapur, it was clear to me that he did not even want to attend, let along win. But then something else happened. A young Brahmin came up. He had an aura just like a Devta. He easily picked up the bow, and his arrow pierced the eye of the fish."

Instantly, my mind was full with joy. Duryodhana was right! Kunti and her sons were alive!

"That Brahmin is Arjun!" I said to him. Vidura nodded affirmatively.

"So it means Duryodhana was right. But..." He could not finish his sentence because a guard had entered into the room. He told me that Duryodhana was standing outside.

"When did they reach Hastinapur?" I asked the guard.

"Just now, Mahamahim. He directly came here after entering the palace."

"Let him in.", I said.

The guard went outside and after a few moments, Duryodhana entered the room. He came to Vidura first then touched his feet. Vidura blessed him. Then he got up and came to me. He touched my feet and grabbed my right leg.

"What are you doing Putra?" I asked him in a shocked voice.

"I want something from you Pitamah. Until you give that to me, I am not leaving your leg."

I looked at Vidura and he looked at me. It seemed that Duryodhana wanted something valuable. But what did he want? He would not beg to us for the throne of Yuvraaja, no, he was not like that. He may choose to the path of weapons, and I was afraid of that day. If Duryodhana chose to rebel, then with a heavy heart, I have to fight against him. I was bound by my oath to protect Hastinapur.

"Putra, I can't give you the throne of Yuvraaja like that."

"What?" Duryodhana's face showed pure shock. Then he started laughing.

"Pitamah, do you really think that I will come and beg for the throne just after Arjun wins the Rajkumari? I know that Kakashri has his spies there and he already passed you the news. Am I right, Kakashri?"

Vidura silently nodded affirmatively. His two eyes were full of questions.

"Then what do you want Putra?", Now I was curious.