Chapter 12

The Gall of Gammon

Disclaimer: This story is my humble attempt to write a fanfiction of the epic Mahabharata. My intention is not to hurt anyone's sentiment.

Aum Namah Shivay!!

Major Jayant Roy, SM is a fictitious character. Any similarity with any living person is merely a coincidence.

Chapter 12

Hastinapur, Dwapar Yuga

Jayant/ Duryodhana POV (Continues)

"I am not...Guilty"

My voice was literally echoing in the royal court. Every single person present in the court was silent now. They were all looking at me. Even aunt Kunti was looking at me with astonishment in her eyes.

No, Jayant! Don't be too joyful now! You have to be careful!

The silence was broken by the voice of Vidura.

"Rajkumar Duryodhana, how could you justify your act as Kshatriya Dharma? Surely attacking your brothers are not written in any Dharma shashtra?"

I smiled inside my mind. I had to make the next circle of my logical chakravyuha now.

"Why are you silent, Rajkumar?" Vidura asked me again. I turned my gaze to pitamah Bhishma, who was curiously looking at me now.

"Before I answer your question, Mahamantri, I want to ask permission to call the royal vaidya in the court. I want to ask him some questions."

Mahamantri Vidura was silent. But his face clearly showed that he was in deep thought. Maharaja Dhritarashtra ordered the guards to fetch the vaidya in the court. A few moments later, the old royal vaidya came to the court. He bowed to the king.

"Rajvaidya, you are summoned in the court on the request of Rajkumar Duryodhana. He wants to ask you some questions." the king said.

"Your wish is my command, Maharaja." The man said. Then he turned his head towards me and bowed.

"I am ready to answer your question, Rajkumar."

I bowed to him. The vaidya's eyes became a bit larger, but he quickly masked his emotions.

"Rajvaidya ji, two days ago, you treated my cousins, Rajkumar Yudhistir and Bheem, right?"

"Not only them, Rajkumar, I had to treat maharani Kunti too." the vaidya answered.

"Was that your first visit in the royal palace that day?"

"No. Rajkumar Vikarna came to me before that. He called me to treat some of your brothers. Then I came to your room and treated six brothers of yours."

"What happened to them?" I mastered up all my will power to keep my voice normal.

"They were brutally beaten. Rajkumar Dussasana's injury was the most severe among them. Rajkumar Jayatsena and Durmukha lost two teeth and got bruises in their bodies. Some of them had their scalps uprooted too. Rajkumar Vikarna had a hand injury like someone tried to turn it to the opposite direction."

My anger now started bubbling inside my mind. I somehow calmed it a bit.

"You forget Guha. His head was bruised too. But tell me, how could those injuries happen?"

I was talking to the vaidya standing in front of me, but my eyes were turning to each and every side of the room, looking at the expression of each and everyone present in the room. Bhishma's face was unreadable. Vidura was astonished. Dhritarashtra, Gandhari and Kunti had shock on their face. Even Shakuni mama had a concentrating calm look.