Chapter 21

The Gall of Gammon

Disclaimer: This story is my humble attempt to write a fanfiction of the epic Mahabharata. My intention is not to hurt anyone's sentiment.

Aum Namah Shivay!!

Major Jayant Roy, SM is a fictitious character. Any similarity with any living person is merely a coincidence.

Chapter 21

Hastinapur, Dwapar Yuga

Kunti POV

From the last couple of days, Guru Dronacharya was living in Hastinapur. My sons were eager to learn both scriptures and warfare. Arjun was literally jumping with excitement. My Arjun was literally an archery prodigy, just like his father Maharaja Pandu....

The thinking made my mind heavier with sadness. In the society, my five sons were the sons of Maharaja Pandu. People called them 'Pandavas'. But, they were actually born with the blessings of various Devtas. My husband could not have his own children due to the curse given by sage Kindama. That same curse took my husband's life. But, in Duryodhana's mind, they were 'half-Devta'. He used that derogatory phrase to mock my sons.

When we were living in the forest, we were actually happy. My five boys were growing up in the lap of Mother Nature. We were free from all tensions. My husband taught them various things, be it shashtra and shastra. It was him who gave my boys the preliminary knowledge. But then, one day, Yam raj snatched him away from us. Then we came here, in Hastinapur. But, this in this palace, I could sense constant danger on my boys.

First, there was Duryodhana. He always saw Yudhisthir as the thorn in the path of his throne. Then, there was Shakuni. That man was a shrewd conspirator. Even, elder sister Gandhari also told me once that to be cautious from his own brother.

Duryodhana was playing political games in Hastinapur. In the night of the new moon, he and Shakuni fought with some bandits who came here to destroy the granaries. They fought and killed those bandits, gaining immense public support. Now, they would use this event as their political tool. Though he is only a thirteen year old boy, he had immense intellect and bravery. Vidura literally warned me for a war of succession between Duryodhana and Yudhisthir in the future.

Today morning, a terrible nightmare woke me up. When I woke up, my sons were there to comfort me. Then Yudhisthir asked for permission to go to the Ganga River with his brothers. Though I gave him my permission, my mind was full of an unknown fear.

After my boys went to the river, I went to elder sister Gandhari. She was making garlands for the worship of Mahadev. I helped her making them. She also gave me some beautiful garlands made by her for my family Devta, Narayana.

I was silently doing my work, when suddenly I heard Nakul's voice.

"Matashri! Matashri!!"

My son was shouting fanatically. His voice was laced with fear. I turned my head and saw him literally running inside the room. His face was pale with fear.

I was speechless after seeing my son's face. Jiji (elder sister) Gandhari couldn't see him, but she could hear his fanatic voice.

"What happened, putra Nakul?" she asked in a trembling voice.

Nakul turned at her and bowed his head.

"Jyesth Matashri, Bhrata Bheem and Bhrata Duryodhana were fighting again!"

His words literally hit me like a mace.

"What are you saying? Why?"

"We were playing hide and seek. I was with Bhrata Bheem. We were trying to find a hiding place, when, we saw some cousins. They were leaving after seeing us, but, I don't know what happened, Bhrata Bheem started taunting them. They got angry, and a fight started. I tried to stop Bhrata Bheem, but he paid no attention to my words. Then, then..." Nakul stopped speaking. He looked at Jiji with fearful eyes.