+ Chapter 3 ~ Judgement & Trials +

"Osamu? May I speak with you for a moment?" Miki asked as she peeked her head through the door of Osamu's office.

"If you can make it short and sweet, then yes. What is it?" Osamu asked as he was crouched, shuffling through the many papers strewn across his office floor.

Miki entered and noticed stacks of cream-colored files on top of Osamu's desk neatly, while there was a disarray of incomplete folders sitting next to him.

"How exactly will we decide which Kaiju will be kept in maximum security and which ones will be allowed to roam?" Miki questioned, talking to the back of Osamu.

"Simple. I will judge them like how a court decides if someone is guilty or not." Osamu said in his usual monotone voice, not even thinking about her question for longer than a second.

Miki stepped forward; concern etched on her features. "Don't you realize how much stuff you'll have to factor in? What about their intent when they first appeared? The deaths they caused? The number of attacks and fights they've had where humans live? The costs of their damage?"

The last question made Osamu laugh, "Miki, I'm not bringing up damage property costs to monsters that don't have a concept of money or property," he chuckled.

"Damn it, Osamu, you know what I mean!" Miki shouted, now glaring at Osamu, standing upright with more folders in his arms.

Osamu turned to look at Miki, a smirk evident on his face. "Miki, you need to calm down. I have everything planned. The kaiju will say if they deserve freedom or not. If they want to be free, I'll briefly go through their records and determine if they should be left to live with society. It is as simple as that." He stated as he turned back around and set the stack of folders on his desk with the others.

Miki's frustrated expression melted away and was replaced with one of slight surprise as she stared at the intimidating stack of files. "You mean to tell me you compiled all of this?"

"Yes, I did," Osamu said, taking out his walkie-talkie.

"But with each kaiju attack, there were at least 100 pages in a single report, no matter the monster. Your folders look like they have at the most ten pages." Miki looked at Osamu, who was still fiddling with the walkie-talkie.

Osamu shrugged, "I don't need all the tedious details. I read through every report and wrote down the important facts."

'No wonder he's had a ton of paperwork here for the last few months...' Miki thought.

"But what if the kaiju decide to attack you while you decide where they go?" Miki asked once more.

"I swear, you're becoming more worrisome than Azusa, Miki," Osamu said annoyedly. "Anyway, aside from the fact that the chains they are all currently in will severely shock them if they thrash around too much, I'll have guards with guns that hold laser ammunition. I developed it around two days ago."

A beat of silence passed through them as the static sound of the walkie filled the room.

Miki broke the silence, "But-"

Osamu held his hand up. "Enough, Miki. No more questions. The sooner we finish this, the better," Without another second, Osamu leaves as his walkie beeps, and a voice rings through.

Miki doesn't hear what is said as the office door closes, leaving her inside by herself.

"At least he's efficient," she says to herself as she lets out a dry laugh

Two Hours Later —

'We're finally reaching the final stage of this hellish project,' Osamu thought to himself as he sat in a small white room surrounded by concrete walls.