14 | "Beg For Me"

Chapter Fourteen
   "Beg For Me"

"you can, you should, and if you're
brave enough to start, you will."
— stephen king

┏━━━━━━━┓

   I was running laps, going on thirty minutes when I began smiling to myself under the water.

   For the first bit, my thoughts travelled to Daemon, but it wasn't long until I focused on them and glanced around my surroundings to ensure I was alone in the large space.

   It's the first Monday of October, and I thankfully hadn't experienced anymore scares. Even Luba mentioned there was less staff watching her. But my paranoia never ceased.

   Plus, it wouldn't be so hard to get to me from here. I was on the same level as the lobby of my building, and even though I was on the indoor part of the pool, someone could easily slip passed security. Especially with the right connections, and knowing them, they did.

   But my mind changed directions when I relived the conversation Sydelle and I had yesterday. We went to a bar where she drank three glasses of red wine, while I drank sparkling water. I felt spontaneous and all that jazz.

   I was smiling and sharing laughs with Sydelle for the first few minutes into our conversation, but that all took a turn when she slammed her hands on the table in front of her, eyes set on me with seriousness.

   "So, that's the mysterious Daemon in full light," her voice was sweet like honey, but she continued to study me with raised brows. "Are you gonna ignore this topic forever, or will I have to force feed you tomatoes?"

   I frowned. "You know I hate tomatoes."

   "I know," she smirked in satisfaction. "Give me the info I want, woman."

   With an exasperated sigh, I twisted my bar stool, so I could press my back against the table behind me. "What else do you even want to know? I told you his name."

   She was gawking. "And you think that's enough?" When she spoke again, her voice was two times higher. "Did you have sex? Was it good? How big? One to ten?"

   Peering around our surroundings, I flashed a smirk at those who were throwing surprised glances toward us before spinning my head back to hers. "Syd..."

   Her eyes remained wide as she brought her head closer to me. She whispered a innocent and soft, "Yeah?"

   I tried not to laugh but failed.

   Instead of answering right away, I brought my cup to my lips and sent her another smile before drinking half of the fluid. She watched impatiently before bringing her wine glass to her lips.

   She drowned everything and nearly slammed the glass on the table before twirling her seat facing me again. Her eyes were narrowed in agitation while I took my time parting my lips.

   "Well?" Sydelle exclaimed, throwing her hands up in the air. "We're not getting any younger. Give me the details!"

   "I forget how much of a gossiper you are," I chuckled, wiggling my brows. "We did nothing like that."

   She lost her frustration as her gaze roamed around my features. She must have read something because after another moment, her eyes narrowed on me with a knowing smirk. "But you want to?"

   "Wh-what? No," I scoffed a laugh, but her question didn't stop my body from being a bitch and reacting with all those annoying flutters in my chest—and hell, my core. I clenched my legs together and spun my seat around, so I was facing the table. "Daemon is an annoying Shadow who doesn't know basic human rules."