20 | "Everything. Was. Frozen."

Chapter Twenty
   "Everything. Was. Frozen."

"it's hard not to be a fighter when
you're constantly under siege,"
~ cassandra duffy

┏━━━━━━━┓

"Arms up," Daemon's deep drawl made me turn toward him, watching as he took long steps to the centre of the mats.

I flashed a smirk to hide how mesmerized I was. Mostly since Daemon's rolled up sleeves always did something to my body. Asshole.

"What's the magic words?" I teased, staying near the table that served my pre-workout and protein shakes.

We were in the room above the shop currently, but rather than do this after my shift, Daemon ordered we meet up early in the morning, so I could get some training in before tonight's festivities.

It was the first Friday of November, a week since I saw Naveen. It was also the day of the fundraiser.

And the last day I'd be in the city.

I'd be saying a final goodbye to Sydelle and Luba tonight, but every time I suggested talking about my leaving to Daemon, he deflected and changed the conversation.

Not that it was avoidable. My bags were already packed. All that was left was goodbye.

If only Daemon stopped being a stubborn shit and accepted the reality I was leaving.

I hadn't told him what Naveen said, because I wasn't even sure how to bring it up. Hell, how would I even word it? Yeah, your competitor killing buddy told me that instead of following through on what he was hired to do, he's gonna watch the magic unfold, like a freak.

"Now." Daemon's harsh voice cut through my thoughts as I snapped my head toward him again. He was glowering with his chin low, appearing tenser than usual.

I pursed my lips and rocked back on my heels. "Sorry, what? Say that again."

His chest rose slowly, and I didn't hide my grin as I watched him try to cool himself down.

"Why are you so aggravating?" He growled deeply before crossing the distance between us. I sucked a breath when his hands suddenly clasped my upper arms, and with me wearing a tank top and shorts, I felt the heat radiating off his body and coming onto me.

My eyes dropped to his tattooed arms before peering to his face, only to see his expression just as hard as before. "Hit me," he demanded before stepping back, bringing me with him.

"Tempting," I joked.

His eyes darkened, serious as always. "Where are your kicking urges now, Alina?"

"Ou, full name? I must be in big trouble," I continued to grin. But clearly my words got to him, since he stilled before dropping his focus to my split lips.

While he was distracted, I attempted a punch by leaning forward slightly, before throwing a left uppercut.

But before I could reach a fraction of his chin, his hand shot out and latched onto my wrist, wearing a glare. "We both know you can do better than that."