18 | "I'm Yours"

Chapter Eighteen
"I'm Yours"

"no one calls you honey,
when you're sitting on a throne,"
~ valerie broussard

┏━━━━━━━┓

   Why am I like this?

   I felt like cussing myself out in three different languages as I hesitantly stepped into the diner, fiddling with the hem of my oversized white shirt.

   It was Thursday, closing in on six in the evening. For over an hour, I'd been in my apartment trying to figure out what to wear before giving up, because no man would make me nervous. Not even Daemon Kade.

   But that didn't stop my subconscious from going against my rules.

   A wave of warmth brushed through me as I strolled further away from the door, peering around the restaurant. Since the lights were bright, I could easily see that most of the tables and booths around the centre bar were full.

   But even with my shitty far-distance eyes, when I glanced to the left end of the diner, I sucked a breath, seeing Daemon's back to me as he sat in the dark red and brown booth.

   My feet faltered as I moved around the dark wooden hostess stand before I glided forward. 

   The chatter around me faded, and I forced myself to remember Sydelle's pep-talk hours ago, when I told her that I'd be seeing Daemon after almost a week.

   "You're Alina! And if I see you getting soft over some guy, ya udaryu tebya!"

   I will hit you. I taught my cousin violence well.

   A hint of a smile made me lose some of the tension in my shoulders, but the second I glanced back to Daemon's table, that vote of confidence flew out the window. Because now, Daemon's familiarly cool, steel eyes were focused over his shoulder, directed on me.

   I bit the inside of my cheek, and forced my feet to remain steady as I crossed the rest of the distance between us. And at first, I did well—until he shot to his feet, eyes following me as I shifted to the end of the table.

   I almost fell on my ass, but I kept my concentration on Daemon, who unsurprisingly met me with silence as I rocked back on my heels.

   His gaze travelled around my face before skimming over to my neck—which currently had some concealer to hide last weeks hickey. I could tell he thought of that piece of information when his eyes darkened before lowering, this time to my shirt and leggings.

   His Adam's apple bobbed when our eyes locked again. "Thank you for coming."

   For some reason, his words made my cheeks warm. But I kept my expression blank, besides lifting my brows expectedly. "You're not planning on pulling out a gun, right?"

   He said nothing, but I didn't miss how he tensed up at my question. "I'd never pull a gun on you, Rose."

   "Doubtful."

   Without waiting for his reply, I snapped my head to the right side of the booth before sliding inside. Across from me, Daemon did the same a few seconds later.