21 | "I Should Have Stayed Single"

Chapter Twenty-One
   "I Should Have Stayed Single"

"I am my husband's life
as fully as he is mine."
— jane eyre

┏━━━━━━━┓

  I was circling the boxing ring that was in the centre of the concrete floored studio, watching with a faint smile as Daemon trained two teenagers between the ages of sixteen and seventeen.

   They were both scrawny, but they came to our fitness studio to build some muscle earlier this month. So far, they've shown a lot of commitment—something I admired in customers when they walked through our doors.

   And I made sure our doors were nice. Having a gym that focused heavily on mixed martial arts and strength exercises, TapOut was built on the idea that anyone could and should defend themselves. We had women programs, which I taught, to give them confidence that women could, in fact, be strong.

   When Daemon and I returned from travelling all over Europe and Asia, we settled down in New York and bought a large studio near the heart of New York City. It was completely destroyed at first, the walls basically peeling and the floors stained with a nauseating smell.

   Luckily, Daemon wasn't all just looks. He helped me get our hands dirty, and within less than a year, we opened to the public. We were advertising a lot on social media—or I should say, I advertised. I don't know why I was surprised to learn Daemon never heard or touched Instagram or Tiktok.

   By the time we opened last month in April, we already had dozens of people come sign in. And I liked to pride myself over how everything turned out.

   Right when you entered through the double doors, the boxing ring was right in the centre of the room, but behind that, were the men and women changing rooms, as well as single rooms in case people didn't find it comfortable being around others. On the far left corner, there was a staircase leading to the second floor, where I did my lessons. There was several workout gear, including cardio machines for our pre-workout. The floors were covered in mats, and there were floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the streets of New York. Of course, they were one-way.

   And on the left side of the front entrance, was mine and Daemon's office. There was a window, but the blinds were always drawn.

   I was still watching Daemon with my arms crossed when I felt my phone vibrating in my floral dress pocket—the only dresses I wear now have pockets, curtsy of Sydelle and her fashion degree. I, however, didn't go back to school. I knew my path, and I didn't need a degree for it.

  Keeping my eyes on Daemon, I let out a slow exhale before answering the call and pressing my phone against my ear. "Hello?"

   "Mega-slut!" Sydelle screeched in my ear, making me wince as I pulled my phone back a few inches. "Why do I pack late? Why don't you yell at me more?" She accused, but I rolled my eyes, knowing this was coming. We were going to Russia tomorrow, because Daemon's birthday was something the family wanted to celebrate together. And Sydelle and Luba were coming along, for the first time in a little less than ten years.

   "I do yell at you, you just don't listen," I reminded her with a smile, watching as the two teens gave Daemon a wide grin. His lip quirked up, only barely, before nodded once in goodbye.

   Sydelle groaned in my ear, just as Daemon trialled his gaze over the studio, before darkening once the met mine. I smirked teasingly, but my amusement faded when my focus dropped to his naked chest. Or more specifically, his naked, tattooed, shiny with sweat, chest.