16 | "You Need a Chill Pill"

Chapter Sixteen
"You Need a Chill Pill"

"a storm was coming but that's not
what she felt. it was adventure on the
wind and it shivered down her spine,"
~ atticus

┏━━━━━━━┓

It's the first Friday of February, and even though I loved the month, today was especially hard on my family—or more specifically: papa.

That was evident when, during our breakfast, he'd remained silent, clearly lost in his own thoughts since he wouldn't even lift his phone off the table.

No one asked why. But I hated the tension in the room, so I started teasing Vladik, who then joined me in making fun of Micah.

Now, I was sitting in the drawing room after a training session and shower, wearing a white maxi dress with orange flowers. There was a slit, of course, which was great in my teasing of a certain Shadow.

I looked up from the book I was reading—don't even bother asking me how it's pronounced—and peered to the right, in the direction of the window overlooking a field of snow. Standing in front of it was Daemon, whose heated eyes were pointed on me.

Even though I'd learned the truth about everything, there was a piece—a big one—that still hadn't forgiven the damn robot. I didn't give a crap that he had all the pure intentions in the world. What mattered was that instead of talking to me, he went behind my back, talked to my family, and brought me here.

And no, I could not give less of a shit that it was for my protection.

I wasn't some damsel in distress. Even though some foolish part of me warmed up, knowing what we had wasn't completely false, and that he actually did have a heart under his cold, stone body, that didn't change the fact that he'd kept this from me for months.

But if anyone knows how to make a robot squirm, it sure as hell is me.

I kept my focus on him while perfecting my innocent doe eyes—which from previous experience, seemed to be manipulative enough.

His eyes dropped to my lips, and I resisted the urge to smirk before slowly lifting my leg over the other. The slit now parted, enough so he could see my bare thigh.

The dress slid up, close enough to almost see my panties. Daemon noticed, at least by how his jaw was popping as his gaze travelled all over my body. Then, his foot tapped twice.

I couldn't stop my grin from widening this time. "Careful, Shadow. Your feelings are showing," I drawled, nodding my head to his foot as he snapped his gaze back to mine. His cold, steel grey eyes darkened dangerously, as if I was tempting him to do something.

Even though he was in his all black suit, seeming professional as always, there was a certain air around him that reeked with intimidation. Maybe it was his eyes, or the tattoos I knew were hidden behind all the fabric. Or maybe how he presented himself: like he could kill everyone in the room in one single breath.

I had to be crazy to be turned on.

I tried to hide my thoughts by keeping my expression neutral, but after his eyes quickly scanned my face, he lowered his chin—which seemed to eclipse his features. He knew what I was thinking.