Buried Memories

Cassie ripped out of John B's arms, who had tried to pull her into a warm hug. "Get off of me," she gave him a murderous look, "John B, you're supposed to be his best friend and yet you can't see past your nose." She gestured to all of the teens in front of her, "None of you can. He's broken, can't you see? JJ is in constant pain and none of you even bother to ask him what's happening! Pope, you're still worried after he takes the fall for you, Brandy, you and Sarah are only worried about your next secret date, and Kie," she let out a sigh, a tear almost forming, "I don't know what to say to any of you."

She put her hands to her face to cover before huffing and throwing them down. She looked between all of them, "None of you get it. At all. He acts strong for every single one of us and it's killing him because he wants to just be able to be vulnerable for once and he has done that for every single one of you. JJ is the love of my life and he's hurting. He deserves the world and what he's getting is some friends that can't even understand him."

"Cassie-" "No John B! You can say you're my best friend hundreds of times but show it. Your best friend since third grade is walking away. I really hope you all see what you're doing."

And that is how Cassie ended up walking home.

~~~

Cassie opened the glass front door slowly to her house. She pulled off her shoes and closed the door behind her, sliding down the side, finding it harder and harder to breathe. She started to hyperventilate, not cry, but repeatedly breathing louder and louder, maybe hoping that someone would find her, a certain someone with beautiful golden skin and the gliding smirk that he always held.

Cassie gripped her neck, where a chain held up a stunning ring with a single diamond heart. JJ had gotten it for her, when they were small kids. JJ had worked some odd jobs, mowing lawns, dogsitting to pool enough money for Cassie's friend, Anya, to give him a discount at the jewelry store in the middle of town. Anya was a middle aged lady that had known Cassie since she was two years ago, sometimes babysitting when her parents had to leave.

Anya remembered watching the small blonde boy shyly walk up to the counter and ask her how much a ring was. She had recalled him walking around with Cassie giving her a look that she only remembered when she saw her soulmate look at his wife that was sadly not herself. She couldn't let Cassie and the boy end up like that so she bent down and smiled, "How much do you have, kiddo?"

His voice was high pitched and young, squeaking out a, "$117 and 54 cents."

Anya smiled and told him to go pick one out as she took the money and cashed it into the register. He then brought over a large band with a diamond heart as the only decoration. "That's a promise ring," she said, "It means you are making a promise to whoever the lucky person is that you will one day become their always."

JJ's lips instantly broke into a smile, "That's perfect."

Anya didn't comment about how the band was going to be a lot larger than any girl's finger his age as she typed it into the register and bypassing the $750 that was still owed. She wrapped it carefully as he watched intently, finally setting it into his hands. "Good luck," she smiled, "Come back if you need anything else." And with that, a small JJ ran out of the store to go find Cassie.

He remembered her teasing him about why he was so nervous and when he finally took it out she looked at him funny. "JJ, what is that?" she had asked, scratching her head and running a hand through her hair.

"The lady said this was a promise ring. So here's my promise. I promise I'll always be there for you."

Cassie put a hand to her mouth when he opened it because she had seen those types of rings in Anya's shop as she noticed the wrapping was the same in her store. This had been expensive and expensive to JJ and his family was impossible.