Restitution

"Don't let it get in your head. Three of them and two of us," JJ happily spoke as they were lounging around Heyward's store, reminiscing in yesterday's events, "That's typical Kook shit right there." "Hell, yeah," Kie smiled as she gave the credit card back to the customer. 

"What was your thought process, using your head?" JJ asked Pope as he helped package up the bought merchandise. It hadn't slipped past Cassie that JJ looked extra good this morning in a white t shirt and some kacki shorts that showed his muscles perfectly. When they had woken up together, Cassie had played with his hair as they laid in her white bedroom with the perfect breeze swirling through the opened balcony doors. She had woken up also, looking fresh and rested as they always slept best when they were together. She had decided on a summer dress that accented her curves beautifully, but wasn't too dressed up.

"I don't know, man. I just kind of acted off instinct. I was a cornered animal," Pope responded as Cassie laughed, "A cornered animal?" JJ sent her a grin as they tossed a lemon between each other. Heyward walked into the shop, "Hey, Pope, someone here to see you."

An officer walked in behind him as JJ glanced at Cassie who was sending a worried look at Pope. Pope was dumbfounded and gulped, "Evening, Officer." "I have an arrest warrant for felony destruction of property."

Heyward couldn't believe it, "What?"

"Hands where I can see 'em. Young lady, out of my way." "Whoa. Shoupe, what'd he do?" Heyward asked. Cassie stepped forward but JJ grabbed her wrist, shaking his head. She turned, "You can't do this officer."

He ignored her and looked at Heyward, "Look at the warrant." "You're just arresting my boy?" Heyward asked as he took out his handcuffs and unlocked them just to be locked once more around Pope's wrist. JJ, Kiara, and Heyward started talking belligerently towards the officer as he guided Pope. Cassie read over the warrant, This couldn't be possible.

The Pogues and Heyward followed the officer and Pope out, trying to talk him out of arresting their teenage best friend. Cassie watched with her mouth gaping open, she couldn't believe this was happening.

And poor JJ couldn't watch it happen.

So just as Pope was about to be pushed into the Police vehicle, JJ stepped up. "It wasn't him!" he yelled, "It was me."

Cassie whipped around to look at his beautiful face, "Don't do this, JJ, please -" But her pleas had no effect. Because she knew that even though JJ was the most reckless person she had ever met, she knew he wouldn't do this. "He tried to talk me out of it, but I was mad because he'd just been beaten up. I was so sick of those assholes from Figure Eight that I lost my shit." Pope shook his head, trying to speak. "I can't let you take the blame for somethin' I did. You've got too much to lose."

Pope stared at his best friend, "JJ, what are you doing?" "I'm tellin' the truth. For once in my goddamn life, I'm gonna tell the truth. I took his old man's boat, too."

"What da hell?" Heyward started. "JJ, come on," Pope tried again. 

"Just shut up, Pope! Just shut up," JJ turned to the officer, "He's a good kid. You know where I'm from. This was all me."

The officer turned to Pope and sighed, "That's the whole truth?" "Whole truth, swear to God," JJ answered, but it was not enough. "I know what you think, damn it, I'm asking Pope."

Pope hesitated while giving a horrified look, and for once Cassie wished that Pope wouldn't do it, but she knew the risk and watched as Pope lied. "Yeah, that about covers it."

So the officer unlocked the cuffs, but before he could push their Pogue into the car, Cassie ran over. She pulled his shirt towards her with her fists pooling with the fabric, placing their foreheads together, "Please, don't do this."