Falling Off the Ledge

The van came to a halt as John B pressed on the breaks, sighing, "Alright."

JJ hooted, "Hit it, boys! We're goin'." " Recon mission."

John B turned to the four teens riding in the back of the car, "Yo, uh... so, uh, I think I'm gonna do this one by myself tonight." The sky let out a deep rumble of thunder as JJ looked back at him. Cassie gave him a strange look, "Alone?"

John B gave a small nod, "I don't want to spook Sarah with the peanut gallery." "Oh Brandy, if she's okay with you, if you compare us all, I think we're the normal ones."

Kie looked down and glared at the floor of the van, "I just don't understand why we're involving her at all." "Kie, we're not involving her, okay? It's- it's just, uh, like a- a business meeting thing." Cassie could see him take a gulp. "Look, once we get what we need, we cut her loose, all right? Plus, we need the map."

Cassie looked between her two best friends as her and JJ made eye contact, wincing at Kie's newest statement, "Promise me nothing's happening between you." "Nothing is happening, Kie."

"I'm being serious," Kie said, "This isn't about you, and this isn't about us. This is about her. Dude, she's gonna get inside your head. Just promise me nothing's happening between you guys."

Cassie didn't want to say it, but she could tell that Sarah Cameron was now the apple of John B's eye and there was no way that he was going to let her go easily. So as she knew this, she felt a pang in her heart when he lied straight to his best friend, "I promise." To Cassie, that was a complete betrayal of trust that the Pogues had spent years building.

Cassie gave a tight smile and looked at JJ, "That was so believable, don't you think?" "That was really believable," JJ responded while Pope joined in. "A hundred percent believable."

John B rolled his eyes and started leaving, "Anyways, um... I'm gonna take care of business." Pope watched him leave, "We'll just sit here in the hot-ass car. While it's lightning."

Cassie looked up at Kiara who looked almost disgusted that her name was even mentioned. Pope looked up at her, "Kiara, holding onto your grudge is like drinking poison and thinking Sarah will die." "Exactly," JJ answered. Cassie moved from her spot next to JJ and pulled Kie into a side hug, "It's okay. We'll figure it out." Kie's head turned and kissed Cassie's shoulder in gratefulness for someone understanding her.

She crawled back next to JJ and even with the hot and heavy air, JJ put his arm around her and kissed her head, whispering, "If it means anything, I trust you and I won't--" She looked up and smiled, "It means the world."

JJ couldn't help but smile at her words as her big blue eyes looked up at his green ones, swirling only with love and affection.

Moments later, while JJ was talking about Rafe and Kelce, Cassie heard a soft, "Somebody, help!" She shot up from her place of lying on JJ's chest. "JJ, you're amazing but shut up for a second. Do you guys hear that?" He stopped and looked out into the darkness as another, "Please, somebody help!"

JJ shot up as well, "Oh, wait, no, I hear that."

They climbed out of the van as Cassie muttered a, "Shit," along with Kie's, "What the fuck?" JJ held Cassie's hand as she ran barefoot, as she had pulled off her heels in the van an hour ago. They ran up to Sarah, who hovered over John B's body. Pope ran over first, "Sarah! What happened?" "I don't know what to do. He needs help. Topper shoved him," Sarah sobbed.

JJ looked around, subconsciously putting Cassie behind his frame if Topper jumped out, "Where the hell is he?" Cassie saw Brandy's body, lying up to watch the stars, unmoving. She put a hand to cover her gaping mouth. Her best friend was lying there, cold. Sarah shook her head, "Oh, please, please, please get help. I don't care who. Just call someone." JJ turned to Pope and pushed him towards the van, "Go. Go!"