memories

rosies pov

i filled up my pink metal bottle at the fountain, before sitting on a bench and waiting for nat. i always enjoyed training with nat as she was most aware of my capabilities, and we didn't have to spar. i always feared i would hurt one of the other team members, especially in hand to hand combat. i glanced up at the clock, seeing i was 10 minutes early, but nat was always 5 minutes early so i didn't want to be late by her standards. i flipped my hair upside down, chucking it in a ponytail ,it was getting long, perhaps nat or wanda would cut it? it was pretty heavy, i was distracted from my thoughts as i heard someone enter the room. after securing my hair, i smiled at nat who returned the smile. "where we starting" i said, to which she gestured for me to join her on the pair of treadmills. "we're only running for 30 minutes so do with that as you will". i turned up the treadmill to the fastest speed 25 miles per hour before running consistently for 30 minutes. natasha normally had to press the stop button for me as i got so concentrated on the movement of my legs going back and fourth. as she did, i felt the machine slowing and in turn slowed my pace "you doing that never seizes to amaze me, how far did you get?"she quizzed
"12.5 miles"i said shrugging
"you recon you could go faster if the treadmill went faster"
"maybe, i want to get my marathon speed to under an hour"i informed her, to which she just smiled and shook her head
"i would love to see that, come on punching bag time"

"are they secured this time, i always feel bad when i break them"
"tony stuck them in place with a pretty thick metal chain for you, steve, bucky and peter" i smiled as we made our way over. my form had improved greatly since i had first joined, and was for the most part perfect. sometimes, however, because of my concentration, i forgot my gloves. my pain threshold was pretty high so i didn't notice until natasha looked up at me after 20 minutes of punching. she did this because, after hitting the bag too hard, it once again flew off
"holy crap..."she muttered under her breath "ROSIE your hands" she exclaimed causing me to look down
"oh shit" this was the first time natasha had heard me swear, but i hadn't even picked up on myself saying it.

after natasha wrapped my hand in bandages, for the third time in two weeks, and ensured i was okay to continue, we went on to lift weights for 30 minutes. after this, we stretched sitting on the floor. "your not even sweating" she stated, i just shrugged
"stamina of steal i guess"
"do you even have sweat glands"
"i mean, it is a possibility i dont, parents may have removed them when they took my uterus" natasha looked up with me, shock painted on her face. sometimes i forget that i'm not meant to say things like this in casual conversation.
"they took you uterus"
"started causing me pain when i was like 8 as a result of the experiments, so they took out the source" i tried to play it cool, although i found this quite a sensitive topic. i had always wanted children, but didn't think they were even in the cards for my future.
"the red room" she paused, natasha had told me she had a somewhat similar childhood to mind, but instead of being an experiment, she was trained to be an assasin, "they took mine too" she said with a soft smile on her lips. this was quite the contrast to her usual smirk. i stood up off the floor, offered her a hand to pull her up and then embraced her in a hug.
"now come on, lets get you back to your girlfriend" i shot her a look as if to say how did you know? she understood the look and replied "she, for some reason, felt a need to ask mine and sams permission to ask you out" she said whilst laughing. i just smiled at the sentiment.

"wands, are you asleep" i said walking into the room
"no not yet, i was waiting for you"
"okay, let me just change quickly" i said before stripping off my gym clothes, it didn't really bother me or wanda when we were in the room whilst the other was changing, and slipped into some shorts and an old sweatshirt sam had given me, after seeing my lack of pyjamas. the jumper itself completely drowned me, reaching my mid thigh, but was also the most comfortable thing ever. i put my clothes in the laundry basket, which i washed every two days, it containing both wanda and i's clothes, before walking over to my bed. wanda shuffled onto her side of the bed, gripping her pink pig plushie, my frog was currently on the floor for safe keeping, as i climbed into the bed picking it up. most nights, we slept facing each other clutching our plushies. "we running at 8 tommorow " i asked "mhmm" she mumbled sleepily "friday, set an alarm for 6:45" i informed the ai. after getting confirmation, me and wanda said goodnight as she went off to sleep. i layed awake at night, not wanting to get another nightmare. for the most part, i was able to stay silent during them, having had them most of my childhood. after lying there for another 3 hours, i slowly let myself drift off to sleep.

wandas pov

i woke up at around 5am to rosie shaking next to me and whimpering every so slightly. as i opened my eyes, i saw the look of distress in her face. i was unsure what to do, never having dealt with night mares much myself. i decided my best bet would be nats room, even if she kills me for waking her up. i in turn, silently made my way out the door, down the hall, and was now face to face with nats door.

nats pov

i was awoken to a gentle tapping at my door. i had never heard this knock before and assumed it belonged to 1 of 3 people; wanda, rosie or peter. given this, i came to the conclusion that it would most likely be somewhat of an emergency and proceeded to climb out of bed. i was wearing a vest top and tracksuit bottoms as i opened the door to a somewhat distressed looking wanda. she looked like she had just risen from bed herself, wearing cotton strawberry patterned pyjamas, still holding the pig plushy i knew she slept with every night. before rosie moved in, she would come sleep in my room once a week or so, but i found it odd she was here now. "what's up wanda"
"i-its rosie..." she was struggling to speak and seemed worried "i woke u-up and she was sh-shaking nat and sh-she looked so sad and was whimpering. and i've never heard her cry so i thought it must be bad. please help" she looked to me, tears pricking her eyes as she turned around i followed her quickly.

as we got to the room i saw rosie silently shaking on her side of the bed, whilst whimpering so quietly it was barely audible. now it was time to decide; wake her up, or let her run its course. after looking at the girl shut her eyes tighter and seeing one fist, nails digging into her bandaged hand, around her frog plushy, i decided it was best to wake her. i approached the sleeping girl and shook her gently. she immediately jolted awake, sitting up. it only took a second for her to recognise her location, deep breathing and mine and wandas presence in the room before talking to us as if nothing had happened "hey guys..." she said cautiously "hey rosie, you okay? gave us quite the fright" i said, wanda was still in silence looking worried. "i-uh yeah, i'm sorry it was just worse than normal"
"worse than normal?" wanda piped up
"i ummm... get nightmares most nights, since i was 8, sorry for waking you guys up"
"rosie, we don't care if you wake us up, we just care if your all right" i said. rosie looked at me, then to wanda which caused the corners of her mouth to rise, wandas doing the same "i think i'll be just fine" she said as wanda walked back over sitting in the bed, pulling the girl into a hug. i couldn't help but smile at this sight, the worry of a few minutes ago heading to the back of my mind. "okay well if you need me" i said walking out of the room. i went back to my room and was surprisingly able to fall back asleep, comforted by the fact rosie was going to be okay.

rosies pov

"thank you for getting nat, you didn't have to" i told wanda as we were now alone
"i was scared you were gonna be annoyed"
"you did what you believed would be most helpful, how could i possibly be annoyed at you for that" i smiled at wanda as she pulled me into a hug once more
"you really had me worried"
"i'm sorry, it was this memory from my childhood. umm, in the training room earlier i told nat how when i was younger, my parents cut out my uterus" wanda was taken aback slightly by what i said "w-why"
"i was complaining about the pain, decided by cutting it out i would stop, although i am able to cope with a lot of memories, this one was one of the most painful, it kind of took away my hope of having a normal life, i dont feel like that anymore but, i was young and i-umm i guess i had a nightmare about it... they didn't knock me out, just waited till i had passed out in pain. believe it or not my mum was a trained surgeon" i said with a dry laugh, whilst holding back tears
"i'm so sorry" was all and she could whisper, once more engulfing me in a hug, to which i accepted willingly "now enough sob stories, let's try and get some more sleep" i said whilst i subtly pulled wanda on to the bed beside me. she snuggled into me, each other's warmth slowly allowing us both to fall into a nightmare free slumber.

thank you for 400 reads :)
-mia