Mom's Birthday Present

I woke up the morning of my mother's birthday with the mind set of video calling her and making it a great day for her even if I couldn't see her in person. It killed me not being able to see her all the time but she lived four states away in my hometown that I left to go to college six years ago. My small hometown of Eureka Springs, Arkansas held no future for me as far as the eye could see. I wanted to make something of myself.

So, I left everything - and everyone - behind to explore the world and make my dreams come true. I was now working for a major publishing company in New York City as head of the editorial team. I had left my life behind and created a new one with my own hands. I was proud of myself but I missed the people I left behind terribly.

The moment my mom's face popped up on the screen, I wanted to cry. I had missed her so much and even though we just talked two days ago, it felt like a lifetime had passed.

Her smile lit up the whole screen of my laptop and excitement filled her eyes.

"Happy birthday, Mama!"

"Thank you, sweetheart. I have some amazing news to tell you!"

I stayed silent as she beckoned someone over to the computer with her and soon, the face of Patrick Vain, my mom's boyfriend of three years. A bright smile graced his face as he said, "Hey Hannah banana! Good to see your face again."

I cringed inwardly at the nickname that felt forced. It felt like he was trying to play dad to me and I couldn't ever see anyone in the position that my father once held.

"Hey, Pat! Good to see you too. I hope all is well with you two."

"Yes, everything is going great! In fact..." His eyes fell on my mother for a moment to which she smiled and turned back to the camera.

She picked her hand up so I could see the shiny new diamond ring on her ring finger. "He proposed this morning!"

My mouth fell open at this very surprising news. "Oh my god. I can't believe it! Congrats, you two! When is the wedding?"

"Two weeks from now."

"Mom, two weeks? That isn't enough time to plan a wedding!"

"Oh honey, we aren't planning anything big. We don't need a huge white wedding. We aren't as young as we once were."

"Hey, speak for yourself, old lady." Patrick's eyes glistened with humor as he looked at my mother. "I'm still in my prime!"

She playfully slapped his shoulder, laughing and pushed him away as someone in the background was calling for him.

"So, when can you come help your mama plan her wedding?" My mom's attention was back on me, her smile never faltering. "I would also like to extend this invitation to that handsome boyfriend of yours. I want to finally meet the man that's been keeping my daughter away."

My face burned red at her mention of Zachary, "Mom, it's not like that. You know why I came here." I took a breath, "Besides, Zach and I agreed to see other people."

"What?! When did this happen?"

"Mom, it's not important right now. This is your day, I don't want to ruin it with my depressing love life."

She sighed and I could see the pity in her eyes. "I just wish I could hug you right now."

"I know, mom. And you will soon. I have to talk with my boss and see when I can get some time off. He's pretty cool, so it shouldn't be too long."

"Alright, baby. Well, text me when you find out. I can't wait to see you again!"

"Love you."

"I love you too. I'll talk to you later."