Marks of Home

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome onboard Flight 4B7 with service from New York City to Eureka Springs. We are currently third in line for take-off and are expected to be in the air in approximately seven minutes time. We ask that you please fasten your seatbelts at this time and secure all baggage underneath your seat or in the overhead compartments. We also ask that your seats and table trays are in the upright position for take-off. Please turn off all personal electronic devices, including laptops and cell phones. Smoking is prohibited for the duration of the flight. Thank you for choosing American Airlines. Enjoy your flight."

I closed my eyes after the flight attendant's speech and figured I would just sleep the whole four hour flight home. Unfortunately for me, I got seated next to a family with two rambunctious kids that wouldn't stop hollering. I stopped the flight attendant as she passed and asked what sort of beverages they served on board.

She caught the direction of my gaze and smiled apologetically, "Sorry, ma'am, only non-alcoholic beverages are available in the main cabin."

I sighed and thanked her anyway as she continued down the aisle of seats. The man next to me chuckled, "You don't have kids, do you?"

"Is it that obvious?" I sighed and closed my eyes again as I leaned my head on the head rest.

"Extremely. Sorry about the twins, they've never flown before and they're a little nervous." I gave him a tight smile, eyes still closed without really responding. "You ever fly before?"

I opened my eyes and looked at the man dead on. He was handsome for his age, probably in his early 40's but that was just my guess. He seemed friendly enough, but I was just not in the mood for talking.

"I was actually kind of hoping to sleep the whole trip. So if you don't mind..."

"Right, got it. Sorry."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The taxi ride from the airport to my hotel was a quick one and soon, I found myself sitting at the bar near the lobby nursing a rum and coke, the third one I had ordered that night.

"Drowning your sorrows?" A deep voice sounded as a large male sat beside me. I looked over to see the beast that was seated on the next stool. He had his long sandy brown hair pulled back in a ponytail that hung down his neck with a slight stubble gracing his strong jawline that gave me the sudden urge to bite on it. While his body was hidden behind a dark long sleeve shirt and jeans, I could see the edges of swirling colors peeking at me from just above his collar. It had wondering what kinds of tattoos he had in other places.

I shook my head, laughing at myself and took a sip from my glass. "Something like that."

"Same." He raised the glass he held with an amber liquid in it.

I looked over to him and caught his dark gaze as it travelled down my neck to my chest. "What's your excuse?"

His eyes met mine and I could see some grey swirling in the dark brown orbs. It was mesmerizing and had me wanting to bring him to my room. "You first."

I looked back to my glass and lifted it to my lips to finish the drink before beckoning the bartender over for a refill.

"Is it that bad?" His voice seemed surprised as his shoulder bumped into mine.

I took a sip of my fourth rum and coke before turning my head and propping it on my left hand as I looked at him. He really was nice to look at.

"I don't wanna talk about it. I wanna forget about it. You wanna help me?"

His eyes went dark as he brought his glass to his lips. "And how would I do that?"

I smiled at him, "I have a feeling you know what I mean, Mister."