•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 17•

•PRINCETON, NEW JERSEY to
SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA•

Matías POV

The familiar shakes of light turbulence shifted our family's plane and cranberry juice spilled from my glass to the white carpet.

I checked my shirt and took a sip from my glass as my cousin chomped on his apricot and sat in the seat across from me.

"Can't handle simple cranberry juice -such a lightweight." He playfully smirked, kicking his feet up on the sturdy glass table and watched the blindingly bright clouds outside the window as we headed back to California from Jersey.

I rolled my eyes, giving a wry smile as I joined in viewing the scenery.

My eyes were beginning to glaze over as I blinked slowly -a grin forming on my lips. My head hadn't let the memory of last night go.
I couldn't help but remember Monroe's peach scent, bright smile, and that random gunshot graze on her leg.

Not to mention who her father is.

I don't think that would help my chances with her if she found out. I unconsciously shook my head to myself.

I don't know, maybe I'm overthinking it.

"Zio seemed pretty pissed about how the meeting went."

"I noticed. He'll probably try and make it out to be my fault- like usual."

I was my father's only son, but he pushed me beyond my limits as if I was fighting for the right to be heir of our family business. My only competition was Catalina, and my father was too traditional to give her a powerful role in the family. I always thought that made us weak. Intelligence and strength is intelligence and strength. They cross gender and race.

I still had a ways to go before I was Don, but that was gonna be one of the first 'norms' to go.

"Zio is hard on you because he wants you to be the best for us. Can you blame him when we have to deal with the stronzo that Don Franco groomed."

"Don't speak ill of the dead, Seb." I crossed my arms and hung my leg over the armrest of the leather chair.

Sebastian tossed his apricot seed in the trash and shrugged, "I'm not speaking ill of him, just his stupid choices."

I reclined my chair, not bothering to respond. Sometimes I wondered if Seb was raised by the same family. He could be the most callous man about sensitive things when he wanted and it irked me.

"How come you didn't come home last night?" Sebastian asked, his eyes turning on me.

"What are you, my wife?"

"Nah, I wouldn't want that responsibility. It's just that Zio was asking about you. Grilling me about why you weren't home the night before the meeting."

My body tilted forward, "What did you tell him?"

"Told him Miguel was in town and you went to meet up with him."

"Miguel? As in my old college buddy? He believe you?"

"Doubt it, but didn't he see you this morning? If he didn't bring it up, why you worried?"

"'Cus' he caught wind that I went to Oakland when I first got into town and then I invited Olivia to that party I had last week."

Sebastian scoffed, "You gotta be a glutton for punishment or something."

"I had good reason." My voice rose an octave as I attempted to sound convincing and finished my drink.

"So the sex was worth it?"

"We didn't have sex."

"What was the point of you borrowing my apartment then?!"

"SHHH! You needed to be out of the house anyway."

Sebastian gapped his mouth letting his tongue hang out and mocked my words as he rolled his eyes and stood up, heading to the mini bar.

The clink of ice hitting a glass rang out, followed by a slosh of liquid as my mind recentered on-

"Her name's Monroe?" Seb asked.

My head nearly screwed off as it turned to Seb's voice. He stood at the silver bar hovering his head over the edge of the counter. I slowly pushed myself up and frowned.

"How did you know that?"

He turned to face me as his fingers attempted to type in my phone's password.

"She sent you a text. She says...'Should I call you later?'. What you want me to say back?"

I swiveled, firmly planted my feet on the carpet and snatched my phone from my cousin's hands.

"Jesus, you're such a pain to be around." I huffed and shook my head.

"Is that her?"

I glanced between Seb and my phone screen, nodding.

"She called me after the meeting and I told her I'd call her right back."

"So is it just a fling...or?" Seb tipped his head back.

"Yeah." -I answered still distracted- "I mean, no. She's not a fling."

"That's what you said about Felicity, Sasha, Leila, Gabby-"

"Okay! Okay! I get it," -I gritted my teeth in memory of the nightmare of two Summers ago- "They were rebounds, and it was a mistake tryna do that, but not Monroe."

"What do you know about her?"

"She's a kindergarten teacher, best friends with Olivia, loves when it rains, was raised in the UK, and her father is Terrance Ricks."

"Hmm, I'm actually impressed." Seb pursed his lips and nodded.

"Why?"

"I didn't think you could actually pay attention to something besides a girl's tits."

"How do you think I got Veronica?"

"I just assumed you put it down so good she lost all logic."

I paused and sucked my teeth, "Heh, thanks."

"Is that all though?"

"What do you mean? I've only known her for a week, but I can tell she's different -and not the cliché 'different'."

"We'll see how different she is when she finds out what you do, or that our fathers killed hers."

"She already knows who I am, Sebastian."

"What?"

"She already knows."

"H-how did she react?"

"She was....a little less than pleased but seemed to be okay with it."

"Hmmm," He swirled his drink and set it down.

"What?"

"Quello è strano (That's weird). When you told Veronica what you do, what did she say?"

"She didn't care." I shrugged, "I mean, she cared, but her family was familiar with the mafia so it didn't make a difference to her."

"Exactly. Why is this chick so calm? It's kinda strange."

"Nah, not really, her father was part of Maniscalco's financial team. She probably spent time with them. That's not weird."

"Maybe you're right. I'd stay away though."

"I know I'm right. Look, let me at least get to know her. She seems pretty normal and doesn't seem to have any deep ties to the business. I like that."

I like that the most.