•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 24, ᴘᴀʀᴛ I•

•OAKLAND, CALIFORNIA to SACRAMENTO, CALIFORNIA•

Julia's POV

The past three days have been high-strung to say the least. After Uncle Stef got wind of Severino and Noah's death, Olivia's family began working overdrive to meet Giuseppe Mancini's unrealistic demands.

We weren't stupid. We recognized punishment when it reared its head. Olivia told me Matìas had been spending too much unannounced time in Oakland. He was violating the terms of a deal they'd made.

I just want to know what Mancini has on the Russo family. Maybe with that secret aired, things wouldn't be so tense.

This afternoon, Olivia was willing to drive Nicolai and I to meet Matias in a neutral location and we'd ride with him from there. I hated not knowing where I was going, and all Olivia told me was, "dress nice."

In the end, I opted for my off-the-shoulder pastel yellow romper with the long sleeves and paired it with some white strappy heels. It was one of my favorites - it even had pockets!

"You sure you aren't tired? You've had a rough couple days." I twirled a loose curl from my twist out around my finger as I smiled into my phone's speaker.

"It'll be fine Mariposa, besides Danny is dying to see Nick."

"Yeah, he's been missing his friend too." I checked on Nicky in the backseat still tying his shoe.

"See it's gonna be fun, don't worry."

"Okay okay. I'll relax. We'll see you soon."

"Good. See you soon." Matias said sweetly and hung up.

Olivia cut her eyes at me as she proudly smiled.

"Seeing you two together is just..." She proceeded to do a chef's kiss gesture.

"I'm glad you're happy."

"What, you aren't?"

"I am." -my face lit up- "I like spending time with Mat. Plus today is a nice distraction."

Olivia's eyebrows raised in confusion before nodding slowly, "Oohhh, Don Franco's funeral is today?"

I nodded and she checked the GPS, "You sad?"

"A little. He was really sweet to me, probably out of respect for my dad."

"Try not to let it get to you today. Just enjoy yourself. Remember, this is good for you both."

"You're right, you're right" -I huffed as I thought then reached in my pocket- "Here...take this. If Andres calls, tell him I'm at therapy. I don't need him tracking me."

I waved the phone at her.

She lightly slid the device from my hand and tossed it in her purse.

We pulled up to a semi-barren parking lot of a renovating gas station. Before Olivia could park well enough, Nicky unbuckled his seat belt and dashed to Danny who was equally excited. It was like watching that video of the two little kids running to each other.