•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 23•

•OAKLAND, CALIFORNIA•

Julia's POV

"Ouch," I winced as I tiptoed barefoot through the backdoor of the apartment trying to stifle my half tipsy giggles.

The ends of my once straightened hair now curled up and dripped wet with sea water as my soaking shorts clung to my moist sandy skin.

"Jules?" Olivia staggered into the the kitchen wearing her pajamas and clicked on the light.

I squinted, using my hand to cover my eyes, "Yeah, i-it's me. I didn't mean to wake you."

"You didn't. I came for some water. Are you drunk?"

"No." -I thought for a moment- "I only had a little."

Olivia pursed her quivering lips, trying to hold in a laugh and grabbed my hand, taking me to my bathroom. I pushed myself onto the counter as Olivia grabbed a towel for my hair and washcloth for my face. She pulled the chair we nicknamed the S.O.S -the seat of shame. We used it when were too drunk to shower standing up.   

Olivia turned the water on and helped me sit down. Mini mounds of sand formed as the water rinsed my clothes. Despite being eight shots of Tequila deep, I could still feel the awkward tension between Olivia and I.

"I'm assuming everything went well." She tried wiping my face as I weakly laid my head on her shoulder.

"Mhm. I really like him. I didn't know he could dance."

She chuckled and sat me up, "You guys must have been throwing them back. That's the only time Mat will dance."

My head was swimming and those shots were hanging at the back of my throat ready to make their appearance.

"Heh, yeah. It was still fun." I leaned against the shower wall, my eyes starting to slide closed.

Olivia pulled out my shampoo, conditioner and a fresh towel, placing them on the stool within arms reach.

"Glad you enjoyed yourself girlie. Look, I'll be right outside. Call me when you're done."

"Okie dokie artichokie!" I held a thumbs up as Olivia gave a gentle smile and left me to my thoughts.

I managed to get undressed and dumped my clothes to the side as my wrinkled dripping fingers dragged down my marked neck and chest.

I pulled my bottom lip between my teeth and chuckled.

Matías would be back in a few days. According to him, he said it was his last day in hopes for my pity.

It worked.

After about half an hour of chasing the soap, getting every grain of sand out of everywhere, and half washing my hair; I got out and dressed myself in the large night shirt Olivia left for me.

"You okay in here?" She peeked her head in, a platinum blonde tendril fell to the side of her face.

"Mhm. I'm okay, my head is just..." I fanned my hand lightly around the top of my head.

"C'mon let's get you some sleep."

Olivia was a thorn in my side, and that wasn't going to change. Mostly because she thought she knew what was best for me and liked to make those decisions herself.

But she was my best friend. I knew everything she did originated from love or a craving to piss me off. 50/50.

My feet weaved over each other as I gripped the hallway wall and Olivia pushed open my door, helping me to my warm soft sheets.