•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 37•

•SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA•

Julia's POV

Step one: Watch As The Prey Gathers 

A few months ago I was experiencing bouts of insomnia. At first I tried fighting them- no naps during the day, not using my phone after eight o'clock at night, and taking relaxing baths before bed. Nothing really worked, so to fill the spaces between night and morning I spent my time binging nature documentaries.

In the beginning I only watched because I figured the narrator's voice would lull me to sleep, but the action between the animals did the complete opposite.

One episode about saltwater crocodiles was especially interesting.

The narrator introduced the predators as strategic hunters with top tier techniques. Often hunting at banks of rivers, they would lie just below the waters surface and wait for animals like zebras and impalas to drink.

While their prey was cautiously sipping water, the crocs would jump out of the water without warning, catching the animal between its teeth and roll its body until the animal drowned.

Although their teeth didn't tear it's victims flesh to kill it, the cunning attack coupled with the death spiral was more than enough.

Amazing.

• • • •

"Do you have everything?" Adrian questioned from the chair sitting against the floor to ceiling window.

"I don't need you to watch me. I'm not five." I snapped as I closed the final dresser drawer.

"Just making sure everything goes smoothly today. That's all."

My armpits moistened as I fought the pause in my movements.

"Why wouldn't it?"

"You can never be too careful." His words rolled from his slick tongue as his footsteps clicked toward me.

I cleared off any trinkets on the top of the dresser that I may have left and tossed them in my purse.

"Just think, this time tomorrow we'll be in Jersey. You and Nicky will be back home where you belong."

As I grabbed the mini pack of tissues, Adrian's stare steamed my back, forcing the hair on my neck to stand upright.

I swallowed the hard knot choking me and turned around to meet his gaze directly.

"L-Let me ask you something. What's the deal with Gaia? I mean, what exactly is it that she does for you- besides the obvious."

"Gaia is a figurehead - a placeholder."

"Andres told me she's with you because Don Franco said you needed to be married to take over the business."

Adrian's palm brushed back curls layered over the top of my head, "Contrary to what you believe, my brother didn't know everything. Like I said, Gaia is a placeholder."

"Is it because she can't get pregnant?" I pushed his hand away.

"That's one reason."

"What's the other one?"

"Julia, I'm not in the mood to play twenty questions with you. Our flight leaves in two hours." Adrian stepped back and marched to the door.

"Wait, I need to ask one more thing. It's a favor."

"What?"

"I made a lot of memories here and met a lot of people. One of my friends died about two years ago, and every year I visit their grave. I'll miss the anniversary this year."