•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 2, ᴘᴀʀᴛ II•

•PRINCETON, NEW JERSEY•

Andres' POV

It was about 10:30 when I stepped off our plane, finally back in New Jersey. Our men in Chicago had been keeping me updated throughout the night about Mancini's daughter. It took a bit of coaxing to get them to go without me and even then a few bribes were needed for some of them to keep it hush-hush around Adrian.

Everyone knew the future of the leadership in our family and no one wanted to be on the wrong side of the barrel.

As Gianni drove off, I slipped my phone from my pocket and called Adrian.

"Hey." He kept his tone cold.

"We got her. On our way back."

"Good. Put her in the cellar. You and me need to talk."

"I can't, I—" He hung up, stopping my words in their tracks.

I rolled my eyes and harshly tossed my phone on the dashboard.

"He's getting worse." Gianni finally spoke up after a while of driving.

I ran my tongue over my teeth and pursed my lips.

"Yeah. I know."

"Zio isn't really gonna make him Don....right? You got the money, and more than half of the buildings here, New York, and in Cali all in your hands."

"Adrian's been at it longer," I argued, not even looking over.

"You know more loopholes."

"He's got more connections."

Gianni slammed his palm against the wood steering wheel and glared at me.

"Jesus Andres! You act like you don't even want to be Don!"

I kept my mouth shut.

"Adrian can have all the contacts in the world. Doesn't mean a thing when his temper runs us into the ground!"

"I don't need you to tell me that Gianni! I know!" I growled as we rolled into the estate's long cobblestone driveway.

"Then what? You don't want it?" I could hear Gianni's words softening as he parked.

"Look, I just got a lot to deal with right now alright. It's my father's choice. I'm not fighting him for it."

I roughly pushed the door open and stepped out. "Bring her in. I'll meet you down there."

Gianni, Francesco, and Luca all got out while Luca carried the girl over his broad shoulders. As we approached the side of the house, I swiveled to stop my cousin. He lurched, coming to a halt as my darkened gaze met his surprised one.

"I understand you looking out for the family. I appreciate it." —I marched closer so that only he could hear—"but if you ever question me in front of my men again, you'll be the first guy to be in eight places at the same time."

I took a step back and pivoted on my heel, heading into the house.