•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 25•

•SACRAMENTO, CALIFORNIA•

Matías' POV

"First of all, you don't even live here Sebastian. Excuse yourself from this conversation."

"I'm in this family Matías and I don't trust her." Sebastian bit back as he sat sideways in one of my father's creame office couches.

"Why? Because she didn't want you in her business?" I snarled as I crossed my arms over my chest and propped myself up on the bookshelf.

"Because she lied."

"You have some balls pulling a stunt like this, Matias." My father's taut voice lulled over the room cutting into the conversation.

My scowl followed as he stepped heavily to his office window, resting on the windowsill.

"We are on the cusp of another territory war-"

"-And she's lying about who she knows and where she's been!" Sebastian cut in.

"Silenzio, Sebastian!" My father commanded as he leaned back and interlocked his ringed fingers.

"I am beginning to think it was a was a mistake allowing you so much control in the family."

"Control?" -I scoffed- "I haven't held an ounce of control in the family my entire life- not over my education, my business choices, or who I marry!"

"Matías-"

"You don't dictate who I choose to love, father!"

"Oh yes I can!" -he shot up- "I decide if you will be Don of this family when I go. I will not allow a negro to run my family's business. And you better learn that quickly Matías, unless you want a repeat of Veronica."

My pupils widened and my lids narrowed as I stood up straight and paced towards my father.

"You told me you had nothing to do with her death."

Sebastian rolled off of the chair and scurried between us, blocking my path.

"Calm down Matías. You know Zio didn't kill Veronica."

My father could be infernal at times, but he coupled it with eloquent manipulation tactics. Even when I knew Ronnie's death to be due to childbirth, he wouldn't hesitate to use it as another means to control me.

Sebastian blocked the line of sight to my father, trying to meet my eyes.

"Would you pull your head from between her legs for five seconds. Just ask her yourself. She'll come clean to you. You should have seen her when you left us in that room. All fidgety."

"What's your point?"

"To me, her being black isn't an issue and it will never be, but Zio is right. Don is a huge responsibility, we have to consider who we let in."

"I'm not discussing this with you." I cleared my throat and stepped back from Sebastian.

"Now if you'll excuse me, I have a gorgeous guest in the other room that I have to entertain. Don't join us if you're gonna bring this attitude."

Both Sebastian and my father held defiant demeanors. My dad's eyes brimmed with frustrated disappointment while Seb's glazed with continued suspicion. I nodded in confirmation as I turned leaving the unfinished conversation behind.

• • • •

The walk down the hallway felt longer than usual as I thought about the very few valid points my cousin brought up.