Chapter 2 - "Ατλαντίδα "

It was the next day and we were all headed towards the cliffs of the island. It would take us half the day to get there so we all woke up at daybreak and ate something before setting off.

I was walking beside Alex when he started breathing heavily. He took out his handkerchief and wiped his forehead.

"You alright?" I asked him.

"Yes, it's just hot today, there are no clouds out to cool down the surface of the island. How are you doing?" He asked me.

"I'm doing good, I'm very excited to show everyone my favorite spot!" I exclaim.

He smiles and chuckles. "I'm glad, dearie. Well, we best get a move on if we want to get there before the sun peaks." He says.

I nod and he takes off again, me trailing behind. It wasn't until I heard a voice call out from behind me that I slowed down.

"Stella!" Sean called. He caught up to me and gave me a smile.

"Hey there." I respond, my smile mirroring his.

"How's it going?" He asked me, walking beside me.

"It's going good, I slept pretty good last night, how about you?" I asked him.

"I slept pretty good last night too, better than normal actually. I'm really happy to be here with my Grandpa. I haven't seen him in a long time in person but he would send letters, that was until a few years ago when he went missing." He tells me, looking at his grandpa.

"I'm glad you guys made it here safely and found us. Alex had nothing but good things to say about you. He had no doubts about you breaking that code and getting here." I inform him.

"Yeah... about that... I didn't break the code, Hank did... he's also the one who put the map of the whole island together using the three books." He looked down ashamed.

"You should tell your grandpa that, he's been railing on Hank because he's not an 'Anderson.' He does the same thing to me sometimes." I tell him. I felt that I could be truthful with him.

"What do you mean?" Sean inquired.

"Well, when I asked him if I could start my own garden to try and cross-breed plants or help build the radio that we contacted you on, he told me that I wouldn't understand it or that it was something I couldn't handle." I tell him, my voice trailing off.

"That's kind of stupid. I guess now that you mention it, with the 'Anderson' talk yesterday and all the things he's said to Hank... maybe he's just wrapped in our family's previous discovery." Sean concludes.

"'Previous discovery?'" I ask him, confused as to what he meant.

"When I was a boy, I went to visit my uncle and we ended up going on an adventure to Iceland. Long story short, we discovered the Center of the Earth. That's how I knew that this island was real too. Verne wrote about the Center of the Earth and this island, the Mysterious Island." He explained.

"So logically, since the other was real, why wouldn't this one be?" I asked, making sure I got his logic right.

"Yeah, I know it was a long shot but so was accidentally falling down a huge cavern and into the Center of the Earth." Sean chuckled.

"You'll have to tell me more about that! I've only ever known this island, partly because I can't remember anything else but still, can you tell me?" I urged him.

He told me all about how they tried to follow his Dad's research and how it lead them to go to Iceland where they fell into a mineshaft and from there, fell into the center of the Earth. He told me that they had to leave fast since the lava was rising, making it hotter and hotter every hour. They had to reach a water geyser and ride it out. They had to cross an underground ocean and fight deadly piranhas and giant killer fishes. He then talked about how he was chased by a giant dinosaur which sounded scary. He also talked about the diamonds he found and how those ended up getting them 'out of a pickle' with an Italian man and funding his Dad's laboratory.