Chapter 31

Not edited, please leave a comment.

***Ryker***

The enervating and enfeebling pain consumed me, throaty groans emanating from my voice box. Helpless, an alpha leading a group of warriors straight into a trap. Even through the excruciating affliction, I tried  to sort out relentlessly for our mate.

Everything was just okay until we walked right in to a perfect ambush. No one could have imagined that it was all a lure, one that had triumphed over our thinking game. The papers had been neatly arranged, dripping with flesh blood. With his muzzle raised in the air, Tyron led us deeper and deeper into the forest. He was the only one in wolf form, for now.

The further we went the more Monica's blood scent became more hefty and overpowering on our sense of smell. We could also detect the aroma of the malodorous earth. I could hear rustling sounds of small animals scampering under widespread orchids and ferns. They must have felt the presence of predators, unlike several whiffs of a nearby group of deer that we could catch.

We would have enjoyed a good hunt, had we not been occupied with catching the villain and possibly rescuing Monica. It was no surprise that this part of the woods had herbivorous animals grazing within. The light gaps allowed for fruiting plant life on the forest floor, attracting animal activity.

I surprisingly found myself enjoying the melodious warble of birds as they flew from one tree branch to another. Soothing, that is what we needed as we ventured deep, the foliage crunching under our feet as we padded on them. I had never taken time to enjoy the calmness of nature, only went out to hunt, go for a run or do patrols.

The appearance of our very own hunting grounds changed the more the verdurous canopy above us thickened. Little light penetrated through it, with the dark clouds completely blocking the sun, and the canopy shielding the available light. Our enhanced sense of sight came in handy as we followed my trackers scent.

Deeper and deeper we went, my alpha instincts smelling nothing witty as we went further. We reached a part of the forest that had the ground covered by a mat of roots. We had to keep on jumping the shallow roots that grew out of the ground tangling as they extended.

'How heavy is the scent now? ' Jayson voice filtered over the cold breeze that caressed us and made the green leaves sway and swish.

'We have been walking for close to twenty minutes now. ' Another warrior, Curt backed him up, yawning .

'The first training that a warrior undergoes is the art of being patient. Didn't you attend that specific training? ' My men were meant to endure harsh weather conditions, wars and everything that depicted trouble. Having them complaining for only stepping over a few shallow roots had me questioning their skills.

'There's a clearing a few feet from here. I have a strong feeling that all the answers lie there. ' Tyron wolf communicated  telepathically, the sudden intrusion making three of my men jump.

As we approached the clearing, my wolf became more alert. He surged forward, my nostrils flaring at the heavy sent that the wind carried from where we were headed.

'Do you feel it? ' Jayson turned to me, scrunching his nose.

'Silence! ' I whisper yelled. We couldn't afford tipping the mastermind off, if there was one. Stealth and agility, those were mandatory for every werewolf that went hunting. We relished in sizing and approaching our prey without being discerned.

We made soft footsteps, and soon a small one storey wooden cabin came into the line of our sight. It stood surrounded by tall grass that swished as the wind blew by. There was no sign of life, except the strong smell that seemed to waft from the insides.