Chapter 1: Doomed

Horrified, Mi Sook stared up at her father. "You have got to be kidding me! You expect me to marry that murderer!"

"Stop that!" he thundered. "You will not call him that."

"How could you promise me to Han Sung from birth and now turn around and hand me to that...horrid creature! You know that he killed his brother!"

"It was an accident."

"An accident? The hwarang practice swordplay every day. No one else has even been injured. Let alone killed. It wasn't an accident," she scoffed.

Then she continued, "Dan Se always despised his brother. He wanted to take his place. In their grandfather's affections. And, apparently, amongst the hwarang."

"Mi Sook!" her father rebuked her. "That is a horrid thing to say! You will not go around making baseless accusations against a noble hwarang. That boy did not kill his brother purposefully. He knew his grandfather doted on the lad. And Dan Se was forever trying to please the man. He would never wittingly touch a hair on that boy's head!"

"You're wrong," she hissed. "He hated him. He spent years receiving his brother's punishment at the hands of their grandfather. How could he feel any differently?"

"You will not say any of this to him when you meet with him," he breathed out menacingly. "Or I will beat you within an inch of your life."

And she knew from experience that he would carry out that threat.

She stared up in bewilderment at a man she had long feared. Not enough to kowtow to every word he said. But there was a scary light shining from his eyes right now. This moment was one for silence. So she bowed to him and exited the room. As quickly as possible.

And prepared herself to face Dan Se. A sour young man whom she had never liked. He had always been the polar opposite of his sweet and innocent younger brother. It was really such a shame that they hadn't had more in common.

For starters, Dan Se could grow a heart. And a conscience too.

But even then, she would never be attracted to such a hard man. She could never cherish any fondness for anyone so unflinching as that young man was. His impassive face reminded her of her father. And that would never be a good thing.